Echino means “spiny”
Dermis means “skin”
By Nate Wasden
What Is It…?
• Echinoderm: a classification of marine
Echinoderms come in all sorts of
various shapes and sizes.
the side in which the mouth is located is
referred to as the “oral surface”
the opposite site is called the “aboral
-Endoskeleton: an internal skeleton formed by
hardened plates of calcium carbonate
-Water Vascular System
fulfills many crucial bodily functions
(respiration, circulation, movement, etc.)
-Five-Part Radial Symmetry
body parts mostly come in multiples of five
Water Vascular System
Echinoderms feature a unique system of internal
tubes that assist the animal.
• It is filled with fluids.
• It opens to the outside of the echinoderm
through its “madreporite.”
• “Tube feet” are attached to each radial
• 1. Respiration and circulation both
are performed in the Water Vascular
• 2. Echinoderms have no head; they,
therefore, lack a developed nervous
• 3. Echinoderms have sensory cells
that can detect light, gravity, and
• 4. There are over seven thousand
species of echinoderms
• -sea urchins--sand dollars--brittle star--sea cucumbers--sea stars--sea stars--sea
lilies--feather stars--and more
• 1. Miller, Kenneth R., and Joseph S. Levine. Prentice Hall Biology. Upper
Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall, 2002. Print.
• 2. Photograph. Web.
• 3. Photograph. Web. Http://kentsimmons.uwinnipeg.ca/16cm05/1116/33-
• 4. “Sand Dollar.” Web. 25 Mar. 2010.
• 5. “The Starfish Sea-urchins and allies (Phylum Echinodermata).” The Earth
Life Web. Web. 25
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.