On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Mission Statement & Original Intent
• Mission Statement: Creating components for
people to live longer, healthier, more fun
• Original Intent: Elevating the world from
mediocrity to greatness!
• Gives direction and purpose for the company
• Execute our MS by creating the most
technical and outstanding products and by
providing a 2nd to none guest experience
while having fun!
• Founded in 1998 by Chip Wilson in VC
• Increase of women’s sports, belief in yoga
and maintaining heath
• 1st lululemon store = Showroom concept
• Showroom = Design studio surrounded by
a retail store
• Design Feedback is critical to our success
Company History Cont.
• How did we get our company name?
– Japanese Firm
– Athletically Hip
• Chip Wilson: Founder
• Laurent PotDevin : CEO
• John E. Currie: CFO
• Delaney Schweitzer: EVP, Retail Ops North
• Regional Manager: Kris Ewton
• Assuming completely ownership for the
past, present, and future outcomes in
• Personal library of books that support our
– 3 Laws of Performance by Steve Zaffron & Dave
– Truth North: Bill George by Pete Sims, David Gergen
• Why do we have a library?
– Knowledge is power
– Ongoing development, lifelong-learning, evolving
– Shows “why” behind company’s best practices
• Brain Tracy
Open Door Policy
• Communicating freely and openly w/ one
• Don’t need permission to contact someone
in the company (even someone more senior
than you) Be smart about this
• Every employee in the company is accessible
at all times
• Why we have this?
– We are not about hierarchy
– Feedback and coaching
• What is it?
– Coaching by sharing info that allows others to grow and
– Feedback is genuine. Intent is to help you and others in
their personal development. It is a tool.
• Why is it a fundamental part of who we are?
– Shows your team that you care about their development
• How to give feedback?
– Consider time, place, how you’re delivering the
– Be factual
– Comes from a place of love
Vision & Goals
• HUGE part of our culture!!
• Create a vision & plan for your life
(health, career, personal goals)
• Applies to everyone in the company
• Critical part of our personal development
and is an ongoing, inspiring and powerful
• DO IT NOW!!
• IT’S FUN!!
6 Core Concepts of Vision & Goals
• Will provide in-depth training on this and go
over how to write, plan and execute your
For my life at age
I am living in San Francisco, CA in a modern 1,500 sq. ft.
apartment located in Pacific Heights with a view overlooking
the Golden Gate Bridge, Marina Greens and Chrissy Field. I
am financially secure with all my students loans completely
paid off, debt free and with a minimum net worth of $10
Million USD. My body is in peak physical condition with 10%
body fat and a shredded six-pack. I am
stronger, leaner, more vascular and more flexible compared
to when I was 27. More importantly, I am completely injury
free with no pain in my hips, shoulders, and knees. I have
the freedom to workout at least 3 hours a day. Moreover, I
am working towards a black belt in BJJ and Kickboxing.
Also, I am able to execute “The Splits” and touch my palms
to the floor in a standing-forward-bend. I am traveling at my
leisure around the world with my closest friends and have
just secured a 2,000 sq. ft. condo for my parents on the
North Shore of Oahu overlooking the island. I own property
in San Francisco, Hong Kong, Hawaii and Istanbul. I live a
life of leisure with the objective of maintaining an extremely
healthy lifestyle with an unrelenting dedication to physical
fitness and overall wellness. I own and manage my fitness
facility located on either Union or Chestnut Street in San
Francisco. My purpose in life is to promote my passion for
physical fitness and help empower others to achieve their
own fitness goals.
My students loans are paid off. I am traveling at my leisure w/ my family and
I spend 3 months out of the year in Hawaii w/ my parents. 7/15/2023
I own and manage my gym in San Francisco. It is located in the Marina. 7/15/2023
I am semi-retired and financially secure w/ a net worth of at least $10 Million
I am at 10% body fat. I can still play basketball & exercise rigorously 5-6x per
I have no pain in my hips, shoulders, or knees. I am a Purple Belt in BJJ. I
can fully do the “The Splits”.
I maintain a close relationship w/ my parents no matter where I am located. 7/15/2018
My student loans are 70-80% paid off. 7/15/2018
I am SVP of Marketing & Global Brand w/ a Fortune 500 company. 7/15/2018
I have an annual base salary of 200K USD. 7/15/2018
I am a Blue Belt in BJJ. I am still at 10% body fat. I have no pain in my
hips, lower back, shoulders or knees.
I am able to do a handstand w/o the help of a wall. I am close to being able to
do “The Splits”.
I pay for my parents’ flight to Hong Kong, 1st class. Cash only. No credit card. 7/15/2014
I begin paying a minimum of $1000.00 USD / month on my student loans. 7/15/2014
I earn a promotion. I earn the respect and adulation of my subordinates,
peers and managers for my performance and dedication to hard-work.
My salary increased by a factor of 2.5x at the minimum. 7/15/2014
I am doing 50 straight pull-ups w/o cheating. I am at 10% body fat. 7/15/2014
I am running 3 miles in 18 minutes. I can constantly touch my toes in a
• Where are all the big billboards &
• Grassroots marketing. No push-marketing
• Relationship building is more powerful
• Why is community education important?
– Share our product
– Receive design feedback
– Forge relationships
Marketing Strategy Continued...
• How do we execute this strategy?
– Showroom concept
– Share our culture, product, people
– Integrate ourselves into the fabric of the
– Throwing party rocking events that people
will be talking about w/ their friends
• A partnership w/ awesome instructors or
athletes in our community
• 3-4 Ambassadors for 12 months
• 50% Yoga-focused / 25% Run-focused
• Ambassadors should live and breathe
lululemon core values, are experts in a
specific area of athletics / health,
participate in store events and are
committed to a win / win relationship!
• How does the program work?
– Educators attend the Ambassadors’ classes
– Attend and lead in-store events to further
deepen relationship w/ our local community
– They are like family
– Annual clothing allowance to sweat and
showcase our product!
Research & Development
• Collect valuable feedback from certified
instructors and athletes
• Why? To get gear on people who actually
sweat day-in and day-out! More feedback,
• Build relationships w/ local instructors and
athletes in our community
• Pipeline for ambassadors
• Generous discount – Only for the instructor /
• Feedback-intensive meetings
• Purpose is to invite a range of instructors
/ athletes / yogis to capture as much
feedback as possible for our designers to
create even more innovative and
• Helps up stay ahead of the curve and
• What are they?
– Relevant. Coffee talk-worthy. FREE in-store
gatherings for our local guests, friends and family.
• Why do we host them?
– Ambassadors gets to showcase their stuff and
build their own personal brand!
– Kitchen party
– Elevate health of our local community and to
attract guests into our store
• What are they?
– Experiences and events out of the store for
• Why do we host them?
– Elevate health of our communities
– Partner w/ athletes
– Support external events
• The resource for health, yoga, and fitness in
• A beacon for guest and tourists. Guests know
when they come to any our of stores /
showrooms they can receive relevant info on
local events and studios
• Relevant and initiates health-related
conversation in the store
• It’s a section of the store. Tells a story and
has a narrative
• Actively seeking design feedback from
• Great way to test our new product lines
to see how guests respond to what its
specifically designed for
• Great for slow-sellers
• Who do we product test?
– Athletes in our community
• Personalized by each store
• Accessed from lululemon.com
• Extension of our community board
• Guest acquire info about hours of
operation, ambassador profiles and store
• Educated guests so to they know it’s an
• Core Identity: Quality, Product, Fun
– Reflected in everything we do
Student, Teacher, Athlete, Coach, Stand
– It’s who we are being in the community
• Creative Ethos: Considered, Technically
Beautiful, Functional, Surprising &
Delighting, Timely & Relevant
– Defines our physical and creative style
Creative & Branding
• Important to maintain the integrity of our
brand by being consistent in our langue
and true to our mission statement
• Very important now that we are
• Knowing proper use of our logo,
manifesto, MS and original intent
• “lululemon athletica” not “lulu”
• Our department of CSR
• Drives environmental and social change in
• Provides transparency for company practice
and initiatives and creates action-plans
• Helps us achieve our original intent and MS
• Delivering products w/ environmental &
• Ideal Guest Experience:
– A connection that is authentic and always respect time
and adds value to one’s life
• Why is it necessary to provide a great Guest
– Health > Time
• How to ensure a positive Guest Experience
– Present & Attentive
– Kitchen Party
– Sense of Urgency
– Quality Brand
– Keep it real. Show your personality! Have fun!
• Education shares info and leaves the guest to
• We share what is not visibly obvious about
our product. It unlocks the value of our
product and justifies our premium price
• Saves the guest time by simplifying their
• Starts great convoys
• Builds trusts w/ our guests
• How do we do it?
– Section layout / story
– Fit & function
– Personal Testimonials
– Cash Education
– Community Board
– Teach a guest how to goal set!