2. PICTURES…• As you enter, walk around all thedesks and sit by the image thatinterests you most…?• Then use the post it notes to jotdown the answers to thequestions…
3. GETTING TO KNOW YOU…• You have 1 minute to think of 2 truths and a lieabout yourself… I want to see if I can guess!
4. RE-ARRANGE DESKS…
5. VIEWERS AND LISTENERS…• Viewers- you need to describe what you can seeon the board to the listeners…• You can not say any of the words you can see! Theyare taboo!• We will swap!
6. PET- GRAVE- DEAD
7. MOBILE- BROKEN- IPHONE
9. SHOUT- TEACHER- CRYING
10. WOMAN- MAN
11. CEMETRY- GRAVESTONE- DEAD
12. SUBSTITUTE- FOOTBALL
13. UPSET- MAN U
14. PARTY- INVITE-
15. CHENEY- SECONDARY- PRIMARY
16. UPSET- POOR-
18. COD- COMPUTER- GAME
19. DRIVING- TEST
20. WHAT IS THE LINK?• Why did I show you thoseimages?• What are they linked to?
21. SHOWING SPIRIT AND COURAGE1. PET DIEING2. PHONE BREAKING3. RACISM4. BEING SHOUTED AT5. BEING REJECTED6. LOSS IN FAMILY7. NOT MAKING ATEAM1. LOSING2. NOT BEING INVITED3. PRIMARY TOSECONDARYSCHOOL4. POVERTY5. DISABILITY6. COMPUTER GAMES7. DRIVING
22. FREEZE FRAME…• When have you had toshow courage? Spiritand toughness toovercome a situation?L.O1-Know/Understand times in which youwill need to show spirit and courage
23. LEARNING INTENTIONS…1. Know/Understand times in which you will need toshow spirit and courage – DONE?2. Define the term resilience3. Evaluate resilience as a key quality
24. WHAT WILL WE ACHIEVE…• ALL students will be able to give 3 examples of themhaving to be resilient (Independent Inquirers)• MOST students will be able define resilience in theirown words (Creative Thinkers)• SOME students will be able to evaluate resilience asa quality (Reflective Learners)
25. TASK: DEFINE RESILIENCE…• spirit• courage• strength• hardinessUse these words?• Resilience is… to be resilient you have to show…L.O 2-Define the term resilienceUse the Help Sheet?
26. WHAT IS RESILIENCE?re·sil·ie nce• 1. The ability to recover quickly fromillness, change, or misfortune.• 2. The property of a material that enables it toresume its original shape or position after beingbent, stretched, or compressed; elasticity.
27. YOUR EXPECTATIONS…• Students need to learn to be resilient when thingsdo not go as planned?
28. OPPOSITE TO RESILIENCE?• Defeated• Hopeless• Spiritless
29. TASK: I AM RESILIENT…BECAUSE
30. U SHAPE…• Arrange yourselves into a line…• Stand on the right hand end of the line if you thinkyou can confidently define what resilience meansand identify times when you have needed to beresilient?
31. WHY IT’S GOOD TO BE RESILIENT?* The ability to bounce back * The capacityto have courage * The motivation to moveforward * The awareness of knowingthemselves * The gift of laughter * Thecapacity to ask for help * The tenacity toaccomplish goals * The willingness to sharefeelings * The capability to connect withothers * The inspiration to give backL.O 3-Evaluate resilience as a key quality
32. KARRI• Karri, 13 years, is always surrounded by peoplearguing and fighting. To deal with her temper sheoften gets into fights too.• WHAT WOULD YOU ADVISE?
33. MATT• Matt, 12 years, was being bullied by kids at school.Some of this was via text messages and MySpace.Matt talked to a counselor to get help.• WHAT WOULD YOU ADVISE?
34. YOUR TASK…• You need to now make aposter…Include in your poster-• Definition of resilience• Examples of whenpeople need to showresilience• The benefits of beingresilient
35. SUCCESS CRITERIAExcellent poster if you include:• A definition of resilience in your own words• Examples of when people need to show resilience-at least 3• The benefits of being resilient with examplesGood poster if you include:• A definition of resilience, an example of when youneed to show resilience and 1 benefitOK poster if you include:• A definition of resilience with examples of when youneed to show resilience