Around 1,000,000 people a year are caught by
the United States Border Patrol trying to cross
the border. Many of these are repeat offenders.
What would make you risk a crossing ?
What do you think most American’s think of the
‘illegal aliens’ or ‘pollos’ as they are called ?
Why are some people glad to see the illegal
• You are now to begin a piece of creative writing about
migration from Mexico to the USA.
• Imagine that you are one of the many Mexicans desperate to
get into the USA, bearing in mind the numerous push and pull
factors that you are aware of….
• You cannot cross the border legally; you must sneak across.
• You are to produce a piece of writing telling the story of
how you managed to cross the border (or not!!)
How to write creatively…
use the past tense
first person viewpoint (ie. “I”)
in chronological order (ie. Order of time)
opening paragraph: describe your situation, your feelings
and your plans
2nd paragraph: the start of your journey, perhaps
mentioning the push factors
3rd paragraph: your journey over the border, still
mentioning push but also pull factors
use adjectives to project the mood and describe your
include lots of your feelings; how would you feel if you got
Try to include:
• Details of the push factors that are making you want to
move. Think about money, housing, crime, lack of
employment opportunities, natural hazards (earthquakes),
• What was attracting you towards the USA (pull factors) ?
• How you travelled over the border ?
• Any danger you experienced along the way; did you meet the
border patrols, did you pay a ‘coyote’ to help ?
• What you did if you managed to cross the border
Final 3 slides adapted from Carly Goodwin’s presentation,
available from http://www.sln.org.uk/geography
A statement to the border patrol, or in court
A letter home
An e-mail home
A phone conversation