Form factors are a major concern when designing the UI for a cross-platform app. You need to consider the different screen resolutions, screen sizes, and default device orientations. This will significantly impact how your app should display information to the user. It may not make sense to include all features of your Windows 8 app in your Windows Phone 8 app.
12. 1. The most important selectioncriterion for developers is thebreadth of platforms that the toolsupports, cited by nearly 60% of thedevelopers
13. 2. The ability to tap into existingdeveloper skills is the second mostimportant reason for tool selection
17. 1. 50% of mobile developers theHTML-based set of technologies asa deployment platform or as adevelopment platform
18. 2. HTML is equally used acrosssmartphones, tablets and desktop
19. Native Interpreted Cross-compiledApplication installer size Installed application size Runtime performance Mobile bandwidth usage Consistency of function and appearance Release date synchronization Performance Battery use Reuse of existing assets Access to device features Development environment price Evaluation criteria | 1
20. Native apps Hybrid apps Web appsEase of discoverythrough native appstoressearch on referrals(Facebook, twitter, other)Reachfragmented acrossmultiple platformsworks on almost all devicesDepth of experiencefull access to platformresourcesaccess to native API at theexpense of less capable UIlimited by browser sandboxCustomer ownership andtermsApple Appstore enforceonerous termscomplete ownership ofcustomerEngagement andrecurring usenotifications and homescreen iconno notifications, difficult toget user to save the linkMonetization potentialhigh on iOS and WP, butdifficult on Androidno accepted method ofpaymentEase of cross-platformdevelopmentreplication developingfor multiple platformssignificant fragmentation foradvanced appsEvaluation criteria | 2
21. Evaluation criteria | 3If you are … And you want to … Then use …CIO wanting to mobilizeenterprise applicationsRe-use existing .NET applications Xamarin (MonoTouch), iFactr, ExpanzConsumer brand, new to appdevelopmentEasily create your first brandaffinity appApp factories like Spot Specific, Tiggzi, Mobile Nation HQDeveloper newbie Create 2D games Games Salad, Corona, AppMobiPublishing companyExtend your web content acrossall major smartphone platformsApp factories or web to native wrappers, e.g., PhoneGap,Uxebu, PresspadSmall to medium enterprise Want to create enterprise appsAppcelerator (Titanium), Verivo, Netbiscuits, DragonRad,Expanz, Xamarin (MonoTouch)Software developerPrototype ideas with a rapiddevelopment cycleRunRev LiveCode, Proto.ioSoftware developer Write a 2D game Marmelade, SiO2, EDGELIB, Cocos2DSeasoned game developer Create engaging 3D games Unity 3D, Unreal, MarmeladeDesigner in a digital agency 2D games Gamesalad, Cocos2D, AppMobi, ImpactJS, LImeJSDesigner in a digital agencyRich multimedia experiencesdeployed through an app storeAdobe AIR, Corona, Appcelerator
22. What about Windows?
23. Visual Language called ModernUISamuel Moreau, Director UX Design and Research – Build 2011
24. Windows 81024x768+Landscape, Portrait, Snapped, Filled10 inch screens+Windows Phone8800x480, 1280x720, 1280x768Portrait, Landscape<5 inch screenForm factors
27. Summary• Computing is in transformation …• Developers are looking for good cross-platformtools and native support of HTML5 on devices• Also, they are still looking for viable ways ofmaking real money!
28. GO DOs• Invest in abstraction layers specific to UI/UX• Learn HTML5• Find ways to reach larger user base and follow thetrends in adoption of mobile platforms• Target desktops, tablets/convertibles andsmartphones and adopt Windows• Contact us if you have an idea!
29. Thank you!Petru JucovschiTechnical Evangelist for Windows & Windows PhoneMicrosoftpetruj@microsoft.com@petrujucovschi