District library Coordinator
Fowler Unified School District
What is a Podcast?
• The word podcast is a play on the word
broadcast combined with the word iPod
What is a Wiki?
A wiki is a type of
allows users to
and edit content.
Benefit’s of using Wiki’s and Podcasts
Helps students collaborate and communicate
Provides opportunities for reading and writing
Postings can be created by students
anytime and anyplace
Podcast Power in Libraries
Podcasts enable students, teachers and library staff to
share information with anyone anytime.
• Library Tours
• Book Talks
• Information Literacy and Research Help (check out the many
already in iTunes, etc.)
• Library updates and library news
• Library events (like Science Fair help, Literacy nights, author
• Archiving class lectures
• Audio book collections
• international pen pal letters (podcast pals!)
You do not have to have an iPod to listen or create
You need to buy a lot of expensive
You have to be a technology genius
to create a podcast.
What makes podcasts so special?
• What sets podcasts apart is that they can be
automatically downloaded to your computer
and synced to your MP3 player without you
lifting a finger.
What do you need for
•Digital recorder or computer
•Royal-free music or sounds
Steps in creating your podcast the
old fashion way….
1. Record your podcast in an audio editor
A Microphone – Start cheap!
Recording Softwaremp3 files or Garage Band
3. Save files as (Audacity
Server space and a file transfer client