CITY OF TSHWANE IN THE
QUEST TO ERADICATE
Dr Ntsikane Maine
15 JULY 2009
• Tshwane is facing challenges of poverty, hunger, malnutrition
and food insecurity as do many other cities.
• The problem is exacerbated by the food shortage & the
current economic crisis.
• The focus of the food summit held in 2008 was on
understanding the root causes, the extend of the problem and
developing short and long term solutions to the food problem.
• Resolution 2 of the Provincial summit stated that civil society
should adopt the concept of homestead food gardens to
ensure that every little space available is used for food
• Urbanization in South Africa pressurises cities to develop
opportunities to enhance social and financial footings of their
• Food security is regarded as a priority in the City of Tshwane’s
• Even though agriculture contributes relatively little to the
country’s GDP, it plays a significant role in local economies.
• Agriculture is the potential solution to address food insecurity,
fight hunger and create jobs in urban and peri-urban areas.
• Even though Tshwane ranks highly in terms of human
development, majority of households still fall within the lower
• Poverty levels in the City of Tshwane have been increasing:
– Households with no income as a percentage of all households
increased from 6.7% in 1996 to 15.3% in 2002.
– The unemployment rate increased from 24.2% to 31.9% over the
same period, with a major increase (49.0% to 53.2%) among the
youth of 20-24 years.
• The recent household survey conducted by StatsSA indicate that
about 213 000 household in the City of Tshwane live under
• One of the City’s Strategic Objectives is to fight poverty, build
clean, healthy, safe and sustainable communities.
• The Agriculture Division supports this CSO through its poverty
• The mandate of the division is enshrined in Chapter 2, Section
27(1)(b) of the constitution, which guarantees the right of
every citizen to have sufficient food and water.
• The Mission of Agriculture Division is to ensure equitable
agricultural development in partnership with stakeholders
through innovative use of technologies.
• Revitalization of urban agricultural projects
• Sustainable agricultural villages
• Training and Capacity Building
• Water harvesting
• Agricultural Production Packages
• Mechanization scheme
• Agricultural Research and Technology transfer
• Agricultural Information Management System
• Institutional Capacity and Cooperation
• Agricultural Policies, Strategies and By-Laws
Establishment of food gardens
• Early childhood development Centres
Supporting emerging Farmers
• Production inputs
• Capacity building
• Job opportunities
• Affordable food