Alex Prus and Laura Kross JAMM225 Mapping Main Street: Second and Third Streets
Late 1800s: Moscow Main Street
1878: The City of Moscow was platted on Washington and Main streets form A to Sixth Street. This red box depicts the block between Second and Third Streets on Main.
1884: Intersection of Third and Main Streets Here is an early view of Moscow’s Main Street. The leftmost building housed George Weber’s Harness Shop, one of the earliest businesses in the area.
1888: Gentlemen of Moscow George Weber, front left, operated the saddle shop in the present day Sister’s Brew Coffee House.
Late 1800s: George Weber’s Harness Shop George Weber, left, in his harness shop.
1890s: Commercial Block Issac C. Hattabaugh, President of the Commercial Bank, built the Commercial Block, seen above, in the 1890s. A series of offices and small businesses took the available spaces throughout the years. The space was occupied by a druggist, milliner, tailor, jeweler, and a book seller. On the street level, a restaurant and bakery occupied the space. The second floor was occupied by lawyers and physicians and now the floor are apartments.
1886: Star of Idaho Newspaper Established on the first floor in the northern side of the Commercial Block building on W. Main St. After a few years of running, J.L. Brown bought the newspaper. Then, H.C. Shaver bought it from Brown and changed the title of the newspaper to “North Idaho Star.”
1898: East Main Street, Spicer Block Spicer Block was built on E. Main St. in 1898 by William H. Spicer. The Badger Store was one of many early general stores and businesses to occupy this area. In 1896 Frank David was commissioned by the Spokane & Eastern Bank of Spokane to sell stock from a bankrupt customer. He opened a grocery store on in Spicer Block. David moved his business in 1899 to the Dernham and Kauffman building on the corner of Main and E. Third Street.
The Spokane and Eastern Bank of Spokane opened a branch in Spicer Block on the corner of Second Street and Main in 1900. In 1906the Spokane and Eastern Bank of Spokane was purchased by Hawkin and Andrew Melgard (brothers) and was called The Moscow Branch of the Spokane and Eastern.The Moscow Branch of the Spokane and Eastern was officially called The First Trust and Savings Bank in 1914.
David’s Store In 1896 Frank David was commissioned by the Spokane & Eastern Bank of Spokane to sell stock from a bankrupt customer. He opened a grocery store in Spicer Block called David’s, pictured above. David moved his business in 1899 to the Dernham and Kauffman building on the corner of Main and E. Third Street.
Southeast corner of Third and Main David’s store moved to corner of Third and Main in 1899.
George Creighton George Creighton came to Moscow with Adolph Nelson in 1890 and opened Chicago Bargain House.
Creighton’s The Chicago Bargain House became Creighton, McClellan, & Hall in the Smith-DolsonBuilding. It finally became Creighton’s, one of Moscow’s oldest businesses.
Creighton’s window display Picture taken in 1948
1900: Intersection of Third and Main Meat market owners, Holt & Robertson, built this building located on SW Main in 1892. It was built after the original building burned down. The south part of the beautiful created façade was later part of the First Security Bank of Idaho. The Free Coinage Saloon, a meat market, a shoe store, and other various merchants occupied this building. The Free Coinage Saloon was owned by George Rubedew and operated from 1892-1908. During that time, many people along Main Street frequented the saloons. Even the storekeepers had charge accounts at the saloons.Their customers were able to go and receive refreshments and charge it to various stores’ accounts. The saloon closed in 1908 due to liquor being outlawed.
1921: Southeast corner of Second and Main The First Trust and Savings Bank moved across the street to W. Main between Second and Third streets in 1921.
1911: Intersection of Third and Main looking north The red box shows Spicer Block.
In 1917 the Commercial Block, located right of Creighton’s became known as the Forney Building. 1918: Intersection of Main and Third Streets, Fourth of July parade
1918: A view of Main Street looking north The red box encloses Main between Second and Third Streets.
1925: S. Main and W. Third Streets Creighton’s can be seen where Cactus Computer Co. is now located.
Intersection of Main and Third Streets Vandal Café, Shorty’s Billiards and the Jewelry store occupy Spicer Block in 1940s.
NE corner of Third and Main In 1946 The First Trust and Savings Bank was purchased by Charles Canfield and then the First Security Bank of Idaho under the management of Frank K. Dammarell. It was renamed the First Trust and Savings Bank, First Trust Branch.
1940s: Intersection of Third and Main Streets The First Security Bank is pictured left in its last location.
1964: looking north on Main from Third Creighton’s, to the left, is still in business in 1964.
1979: E Main Street, Modern day Spicer Block A fire destroyed Spicer Block in 1953 and renovation of the buildings began soon after. Three separate buildings were constructed after the fire. The middle building was completely rebuilt and inscribed with "O'Conner 1953" after the owners. The building located on the corner of East Second Street and Main is named the Crossler building after its owners.
All pictures courtesy of Latah County Historical Society and the University of Idaho Library’s Special Collections.