We are a parent initiated education coop with a Montessori approach
What is The Montessori Coop Istanbul?
Montessori Coop is an independent family-led
preschool cooperative in Istanbul to raise and help
raise self-sufficient/respecting/actualizing children
Montessori Coop was started off in 2012 as a
rotational play group between three like-minded
families in Istanbul, looking for alternative education
options for their children. The primary mission of
the cooperative is to provide a meaningful and
stimulating experience for our own children, nurture
their sense of wonder and discovery, and help them
build a foundation for lifelong learning.
Through the cooperative, we also hope to establish
an affordable model for early childhood education in
Turkey, that can be replicated by parents in other
parts of the country.
Montessori Coop’s mission is
to provide a meaningful and stimulating school experience for
children and their families.
By forming a cooperative partnership between committed, caring
teachers and involved, loving parents, we strive to create an
environment in which open communication and mutual respect for
one another are highly valued, and children, families and teachers feel
We foster a sense of community and cooperative spirit in a safe and
nurturing environment, enabling children to grow socially in
friendships with children and adults.
We are committed to the understanding that children learn through
play, “nurturing the roots of trust, empathy, caring and sharing.” In
this way, we build a foundation for life-long learning and a continuing
sense of wonder and discovery.
To develop the whole child cognitively, creatively, emotionally, and
socially by creating an authentic
Montessori prepared learning environment, one that:
• Is multi-cultural and non-denominational
• is safe and nurturing
• allows children to reach their full potential
• embodies the spirit of caring and compassion through
• cultivates a life-long love of learning by supporting children
in learning how to learn.
Teacher in Montessori schools in London and Hong Kong.
Ran a Montessori school in India.
7+ years of teaching experience
Early Childhood Education International Montessori Diploma
from Montessori Centre International (MCI) in London
A qualified Montessori Teacher Trainer with MCI London.
• Child centered
• Child friendly environment
• Individual lesson plans
• Older children are mentors to younger children
• Encourages creativity
• Promotes peace and respect
• Promotes freedom of choice and independence
Montessori Education Is
Montessori Education encourages children to
• Make their own choices
• Self-correct their mistakes
• Communicate their feelings
• Feel a sense of belonging within a community.
• Practice grace and courtesy
Independence and Confidence
The Outdoor Classroom
Tibetan Children doing Montessori Outdoors in India Tibetan Children doing Montessori Outdoors in Tibet
Montessori Coop is starting with an initial set of Montessori
Materials, ordered 80% from Nienhuis Company from
Netherlands and remainder from their subcontractors
Casa di Bambini Class
(Ages 2-6 years)
8:30-9:30 Arrival and settling in time
9:30-12:30 Montessori Work Cycle
12:30 Half day dismissal / Lunch
13:00-14:30 Nap time or free play
14:30-16:00 Activity time:
yoga, role play,
art, water play, P.E,
16:00-18:00 Free play and pick up
Montessori Class Timetable
The minimum age for enrolment is 24 months for academic
• The School program calendar, noting holidays, parent conference days, closed days, and so forth,
is located on a Google calendar and shared at www.montessoricoop.org. The calendar is updated
periodically and parents are encouraged to check the website regularly.
• School is in session from September 16 2013 – June 13 2014 for the academic year .
• We observe the following holidays:
• Eid (Kurban Bayramı): Oct 15-18 2013 (1 week off in October)
• Christmas: 2 weeks Dec 18 2013 -Jan 1 2014 (2 weeks for Christmas)
• Easter: 1 week April 18-25 2014 (1 week off in Easter)
• as well as all Turkish national holidays.
• Please check the Montessori Coop calendar online for specific meetings, social events , parent
conferences and the holiday scheulde.
A Parent-initated and led cooperative
We expect a fair degree of involvement by the parents.
It is understood by all parents joining the cooperative that they jointly shape the experience
in the Coop.
As a parent, your main obligations in joining the cooperative include the following:
1. Parent Volunteer Time with Children: 3 hours commitment once every month by each
2. Parent Committee Involvement: Each parent at the school is required to serve on either
the steering committee and/or one of the parent activity committees.
3. Tuition Payment
Parent Involvement in the Cooperative
Montessori Coop Parent Commitees (each parent signs up for at least 1 committee)
1. Enrollment /PR/Communications Committee: Responsible for public
relations/communication with the greater community to publicize certain special or
annually occurring LNS events three to four times per year.
2. Nutrition and Food Committee : Is responsible for the the monthly lunch and snack
calendar for the Coop.
3. Social & Welcoming Committee : Works closely with Director to plan and execute
seminars and welcoming events.
4. Maintenance and Gardening Committee : Helps with maintenance projects that arise
throughout the year.
5. Learning Materials & Supplies Committee : Organizes the purchase and arrival of all
Montessori learning materials,as well as other art/and learning supplies for the Coop.
Info & Contact
For further questions, enrolment or to follow us: