A paragraph is a group of sentences
about a topic.
A typical paragraph begins with a topic
sentence, which introduces the topic. It
is then followed by supporting
sentences that support the topic
sentence. It ends with a concluding
1. Leave one-inch margins on
the left and right side of the
2. Indent the first sentence. The
rest of the sentences follow
3. Double space your paragraph.
Coherence in a paragraph means the
1. The ideas have a logical flow.
2. The relationship between the sentences
is clear and one idea connects to the
3. The use of an organization pattern such
as time order, spatial order, or order of
1. A run-on sentence is not a correct
2. It has a missing important
punctuation between the clauses.
3. It is too long and confuses the
4. It can be corrected with a period, a
comma, a conjunction or a semicolon.
1. My horse runs quickly it likes to eat
grass in the park.
My horse runs quickly. It likes to eat grass in the park.
My horse runs quickly and it likes to eat grass in the
It has three basic parts:
1. An Introduction
2. One or two body paragraphs
3. A conclusion
Each part is a separate paragraph.
The first sentence of each
paragraph is indented.
1. Five-paragraph essays are longer
and more sophisticated.
2. They have greater
elaboration, which may include
examples, statistics, questions, defin
itions, quotations, and anecdotes.
3. They are more analytical in nature.
4. It has three body paragraphs.
An introduction to a five-paragraph essay must
have a hook, background information, and a thesis
a) It is a statement that begins the introduction.
b) It includes one or two interesting sentences that
engage the reader’s attention and stimulate his
We all dream about our wedding celebration, but
when it happens, we do not know what to expect.
a. Background information in most cases
follow the hook.
b. It contains a general statement that give
a broader picture of the subject matter to
I met my wife on a big gallery. After some
visits between the two families’
members, we finally announced our
engagement and planned for the event.
1. It usually comes at the end of the
2. It summarizes what the entire essay is
3. It contains the topic and the controlling
idea for the whole essay.
4. The topic is the theme or subject matter of
the essay whereas the controlling idea
defines the purpose of the essay and sets