American birthday parties forlittlegirls… By MonicaOrjuela
Level: TRANSITION Requirements: Parental guidance, companion and active participation and a computer. Topic: Cultural competence: Identifying and understanding American English speaking people’s day to day conversational language and behaviors at little girls birthday parties. Subtopic:Language structure – How old are you? – I’m (1/2/3/4/5/6/7) years old. Happy birthday song. Vocabulary related to Parties such as invitations, decorations, favors and activities. Average time: Online: 30 min Offline: 30 min Objectives: To develop cultural competences by means of: Identifying the different ways American people celebrate little girls’ birthday parties Identifying how do Americans celebrate a little princess party. Identifying and understanding American English speaking people’s day to day conversational language and behaviors at little girls birthday parties. Instructions: Follow numerals 1 to 10, each numeral has a specific instruction, go one by one.
1. Take a look at Cristinas birthday… Click on the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSEaUUIDNmc&NR=1 2. Howoldis Christina? Isshetwo? Isshethree? Isshefour? Yeah!
3. Howold are you? Ifyouhappen to beinvited to anamerican birthday party, itwouldbenice to beable to communicate in english. Ifsomeoneasks: -Howold are you? Youmustanswer:
Click on the link below for a lessonfrom www.english-4kids.com Lesson Title : My Birthday, Language structure : How old are you? , Vocabulary: Birthday, numbers, happy In the link, click on the cake video clip `s play button.
Click on the link http://www.english-4kids.com/kidsvideos/birthday/birthday.html
Practice Imagine you are in a party and someoneasks: Howold are you? Youanswer: ______________________ (I´m (one/ two… yearsold) Nowask: ________________________ (Howold are you?)
4. Clickon the links to listen to and sing the “Happybirthday” song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFh-rX_Sfhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dCxh1KACPI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3p-Eqzk-Jw&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2nqo-W9Qdk&feature=related
35. Englishspeakingpeople celebrate their birthday , as well as we do here in Colombia, take a look at somedifferenttypes of parties americanpeople celebrate fortheirlittlegirls’ birthday.Take a look at these links, click on each of them to watch the movie clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi7pd4sF-0&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq3JzkkMZqM&NR=1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJSbN7AbjtI&feature=related
6. As yousawthere are manywaysamericans celebrate littlegirls’ birthday… Click on the following link to listen to professionaladvisement on how to celebrate a Princess birthday party, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS5vV6cF4DU&feature=related The steps for a great Princess party are: - Step 1 Invitations - Step 2 Decorations
Step 3 Favors
- Step 4 Activities Match each picture with the correct place. Listen : Step 1: Invitations; Step 2: Decorations; Step 3: Favors; Step 4: Activities such as baking cookies, making bubbles or decorating cakes…
7. Click the following link to watch more ideas to have a great princess party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XXSGxdJ04 8. To which of the four steps do Princess Amerah’s ideas: Storytime, crafts, singing and dancing, belong to? Are: Storytime, crafts, singing and dancing, - Invitations? - Decorations?
Did you say invitations, decorations or favors?
Sorry, wrong answer.
Did you say activities?
9. Click on the following links to listen to Princess Ariel’s song “Manners and Etiquette.” Listen carefully to learn the lyrics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOp6TdGOBs 10. Sing along, click on the link for the video and sing along. (Lyrics are provided for your parents to read.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwCNG18Aj4cs Hi I’m Ariel and I found a fantastic book about the way a princess should act Let’s see… At a social event , At a most special day or at home with your family . Your mother should say, It’s time to eat Take your sit, no time to play It’s time for manners and etiquette Sit in your chair Never play with your food Never speak with your mouthful, it’s terribly rude. Say please and say thank you Don’t mumble or grunt, That’s called manners and etiquette
What you do and the way that you do it. It’s what makes you a princess … or grub And it looks, easy too And I’m telling you all about Your manners and etiquette Napkin stay on your lap One must not slurp one’s soup Always wait to be served And be part of the group. Not elbows on tables Your head must stay through And that’s good manners and etiquette Don’t leave your sit please, before dinner’s end. Sip your tea , leave your pinky extent.
11. Click on the following link to listen to a little princess who explains about manners to be followed at a tea party. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVtO3vceros&feature=related - Do you think these are good manners and etiquette? Do the princesses from the video act like princesses do? Yes? No? Talk about it with mom and dad.
Do you act like a princess does?
Go back to number 10, Listen to Ariel’s song carefully, ask your mom for advise. If you do , congratulations!!! If you don’t, well, keep trying, You will
References Balloons. [Online image]. (n.d.). Retrievedon October 1, 2009 from http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/70_3545 Cake. [Online image]. (n.d.). Retrievedon October 1, 2009 from http://kids.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Princess_Birthday_Cakes Crafts. [Online image]. (n.d.). Retrievedon October 1, 2009 from http://www.br.psu.edu/Images/BR/PrincessCamp2_rdax_300x225_90.JPG Peterson, E. & Coltrane, B. (2003). Culture in second Language Teaching. Eric Digest. Edo Fl 03-09 . Retrieved on October 1, 2009. from http://www.cal.org/resources/Digest/digest_pdfs/0309peterson.pdf Princess. [Online image]. (n.d.). Retrievedon October 1, 2009 from http://www.princessenchantedparties.com/189_op_450x600.jpg Salem, N (2001). Teaching culture: Problems and solutions. Retrieved on October 1, 2009 from http://www.nadasisland.com/teachingculture.html.jpg Storytelling time. [Online image]. (n.d.). Retrievedon October 1, 2009 from http://images.google.com.co/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mrspottsteaparty.com/images/story.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mrspottsteaparty.com/petite.html&usg=__xNEZHCw2FeDSHQO6Xi4ngo8Cgnk=&h=300&w=400&sz=61&hl=es&start=32&tbnid=EwaSxSN64b5CBM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprincess%2Bstory%2Btime%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Des%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20