In this presentation I will be explaining the Behavioral Health Intergration and its importance to PCPs, Medical Administration, and the medical community.
Strong evidence has emerged for collaborative/integrated care for treatment of common mental disorders. Care can be more effective and less costly. A wider range of treatments can be available. Patients can get better faster and more satisfied.
For example with substance abuse people are more prone to accidents, falls or organ damage or Depression can result in somatic complaints. With a interdisciplinary team the patient will get to address all their complaints in one visit to their primary care physician or PCP.
By having this relationship the PCP and BCP can ensure that the patient is receiving good quality care in a real time setting.
Chart shows how integrated care can beneficial to the medical field.
1. Keys to success By Mona Lisa InfanteArizona State University November 1, 2012
2. Behavioral Health Integration : Why Intergrate? How can it benefit patients, physicians, and medical community. Interventions assist in the management of disease, substance abuse, and mental health disorders. Provide examples. how to integrate behavioral health into an existing clinic
3. Patients present to medical settings with mental health problems. Convenient for patients to one-stop shop. Behavioral problems cause or contribute to physical health Can benefit from a interdisciplinary team. Physical health problems can cause behavioral health problems (diabetes can result in depression).
4. For example patients can receive support in groups for diabetes, smoking cessation, depression, or substance abuse. Better coordination of care due to being located within the primary care setting. Assist with mind body connection and give physician immediate feedback or consultation with their patients.
5. Integrated Care Co-location Collaborative Care- Systematically combining - Most common - Integrated healthphysical and mental health model of integrated care modelservices care- Term care approach to - PCPs develop -Partnershipmental health based in agreement with between the physicalcommunity health primary mental health health and mentalcare setting providers to whom health providers to they refer their manage the patients with mental treatment of mild to health needs to on- moderate and stable site mental health severe psychiatric services disorders in primary care settings- Integration of mental health - PCPs typically do - May include brieftreatment in primary care not follow up on their psychotherapy or referral once it has simply medication been made management and patient education
6. Utilizing the Biodyne Model to integrate behavioral health into existing settings would be beneficial in that: It is an empirically evaluated, developed model. It is well liked by patients. There is a growing demand for behavioral interventions in a medical setting.