1. System is computerised and may be out of date -- > it needs replacing2. Small company has a computer system but its use if very limited + could be improved to allow many more aspects of the business to become computerised.Scenario for Chapter 4 What is a scenario?
• Basically, it is just another name for a situation.• In the case of this course it is used so that instead of just studying the theory of it, its real life application can also be seen.
A Building Supply Company: Biashara Street Building Supplies in Nairobi, Kenya.This company buys the following things from big companiesand then sells them to smaller companies.i. Bricksii. Cementiii. Graveliv. Sandv. Roof Tiles It is run by two directors; Peter Kimanthi and Irene Kibaki. It employs two secretaries, three sales people and two truck drivers.
• This company has ONE computer and it has the following uses: Creating word-processed letters Sending emails Keep record of the company’s customers on a data base.The role of the two secretaries:1. Josephine: i. deals with workers’ personal information ii. Keeps the customer details2. Mary: i. Keeps information about number of hours worked ii. Processes orders from the customers. Irene is in-charge of paying the workers
• Peter and Irene believe that they could increase the use of their computer.• So they call in a systems analyst (Daniel) to a) Look at how the computer is used b) Advise them if their business would improve if they increased the use of their computer.What will Daniel do?
Why should you analyse theexisting system? Analysis Evaluation Design Development Documentation and Testing Implementation
• To see how the data flows around the system. i. What the inputs are ii. What the outputs are iii. And what processing happens