1. Location-Based Marketing: To Check-in or Not to Check-in<br />John Kim<br />VP of Products of Pelago<br />
2. Quick Bio<br />John Kim<br />@jkimlosangeles<br />VP of Products for Pelago<br />Previously at:<br /><ul><li>Medio
5. White House
7. Bank of America & HSBC</li></li></ul><li>Primer: Location vs. Place<br />
8. Precision matters<br />Primary values: <br />What does it mean to others?<br />How can this data make my everyday life more fun or make information to me more relevant?<br />What else can I discover?<br />
9. Whrrl is a real-world game with a purpose: to end Social Rut.<br />Whrrl enables people to explore and experience their surroundings in an entirely new way.<br />
10. How?<br />By bringing together people with the same real-world passions to share ideas in a social game experience.<br />Enter Whrrl Societies<br />
11. Whrrl Societies = Passion Groups for the Real World<br />“There’s a Society for that.”<br />(Over 4000= and rapidly growing.)<br />
12. Societies are Unique and Powerful<br /><ul><li>A community, not a badge - Groups of people interacting with each other through real-world recommendations. Everyone can participate. Foodies, craft beer lovers, architecture geeks, Four Seasons guests...
13. The game - The gameplay in Whrrl is designed to compel Whrrlers to share their passions and intimate knowledge of the real world.
14. Unprecedented relevance - Simply by bringing together people of shared passions, the conversation gets more interesting. Then, Whrrl supercharges the discovery with proprietary algorithms.
15. Society Rewards - For the first time ever, brands and merchants get exactly what they want: the ability to reward word of mouth.</li></li></ul><li>Society Levels<br />How the game works:<br />Users earn points for influencing others, via:<br /><ul><li>Check-ins
17. Want Tos
19. Sharing</li></ul>Trend-<br />setter<br />Maven<br />More Loyalty & Influence<br />VIP<br />Insider<br />Rookie<br />Users level up and earn titles as they gain points.<br />
20. Check-ins help you discover Societies<br />Pelago <br />@ Pelago<br />90 Union St., Seattle<br />Pelago<br />90 Union St., Seattle<br />Rookie<br />Four Seasons Society<br />
21. Check-ins unlock recommendations, missions or challenges<br />Pelago<br />90 Union St., Seattle<br />
22. And share experiences<br />Whrrl users share their real-world experiences out to Facebook and Twitter as photos and notes. Their friends then comment and “like” their slides - a viral loop.<br />When friends are together, they can join their check-ins and connect their cameras!<br />
23. And broadcast to the Web...<br />Photos and notes are published out to Twitter and Facebook (not shown)<br />Whrrl tracks page views<br />
24. Check-ins unlock Society Rewards<br />As users level up in the Society, they get more chances to win!<br />
25. So why should physical world businesses care?<br />People are voting with their feet <br />They are creating media<br />This is the opportunity to drive:<br /><ul><li>Activation
27. Compulsion</li></li></ul><li>Murphy USA<br /><ul><li>Murphy USA is Walmart’s co-located gas partner