2. What did Thomas do all day?• Picked crops with his family
3. What does this tell you about Thomas?• He was hard working
4. How do you think Thomas felt at the end of the day?• He probably felt tired. Why?• The text says it was a lot of work.
5. When did Thomas’s grandfather tell stories?• He told them at night when the work was done.
6. How do you think Thomas felt about his grandfather?• He loved and respected him. How can you tell?• Because the text says he spent time with him each night. Thomas also says that his grandfather’s stories are the best and that he wishes that he could tell stories like him. This shows that he respects his grandfather.
7. How does Thomas feel about stories?• He really likes them. How can you tell?• He wants to know when his grandfather can take him to a place where he can get new ones to read.
8. Why does Grandpa tell Thomas to get into the truck?• Because he is going to take Thomas to a place where he can get stories.
9. How do you think Thomas felt asGrandpa drove the truck up the road?• He probably felt excited. Why?• Because he knew Grandpa was taking him to a place to get stories and he liked stories.
10. Look at page 149. Why does Grandpa bring Thomas to the library?• There are a lot of books to read. The books will help him think of stories.
11. Do you think Thomas had permission to visit the library? Why or why not?• Yes, it says that he read lots of books and it was his grandfather who brought him to the library.
12. What do you think Thomas will do with the stories he thinks of?• He will write them and share them with other people.
13. Why do you think Thomas became an author?• Because he liked to tell and write stories for others to read.
14. Why did the author write this story?• To give information about a real person’s life.
15. Tomás helped pick crops all day. What are crops?• plants that are food
16. Why did Tomás pick crops?• It was his job.
17. Which sentence from the story shows that Tomás likes Grandpa?• When the work was done, Tomás would talk with his Grandpa.
18. Why do Grandpa and Tomás get in the truck?• to go to the library
19. What helps Tomás think of good stories?• reading lots of books
20. Which sentence from the story shows that Tomás tells good stories?• Lots of people read his books.
21. Why does Tomás have his name on a library?• He wrote lots of stories
22. Which of these tells MOST about the story “Tomás Rivera”?• Tomás liked to tell stories all his life.• Tomás had a grandpa who tells stories.• Tomás wrote stories about picking crops.