Monday, 6/29/2009, 4:45pm–6:15pm WWCC 151 B
NECC 2009, Washington, DC
Council Rock School District
• Why do you have a ﬁlm or media
festival in your school district?
• OR- Why do you want to have a ﬁlm or
media festival in your school district?
• NETS-S, NETS-T Standards -
addresses many depending on extent
of projects and festival organization
• Students can connect to similar
events already in existence.
Decide: Film or Media
• Will you have only ﬁlm submissions or
include a variety of media projects?
• Choices could include: videos such as
documentaries, public service
announcements, advertising, ﬁctional
productions, factual presentations;
machinima; animation; video games; music
videos; vodcasts; wikis or other Web sites;
• What are the skills of the staff and students
in your district?
• What type of equipment is available?
Decide: Grade Levels
• Plan what grade levels to include.
• You could include all levels: K-12.
• You could begin smaller or set up
festivals for your different grade
levels, such as an elementary level
festival or high school festival.
• Must be clear for students and
• Samples on Wikispace and on other
• Must meet needs of your community-
ability level of adults and children
• Judges - who will it be at each level?
• Rubric - depends on projects to be
• ? At school level and district level
• This has been most difﬁcult for me
Funding and Prizes
• Where does funding come from - PTOs, local
businesses, school budget, grants, etc.
• Cost of advertising, prizes, certiﬁcates, reserving
a theater, what else?
• How are prizes awarded - by grade level,
category, special prizes not based on grade level
(by subject area for example or “most
enthusiastic”); or scored against rubric and not
in competition with others; or a combination
• Certiﬁcate of participation for all
• When to have it - spring to have most
projects completed for submission
• Where to have it - a local theater if
possible, or high school auditorium;
• Who to invite - tickets to raise $
• Offer training, guest speaker - maybe
after year one
Links to Contests and
• Find a way to promote other contests
and activities while promoting your
• Connect to others and share