• What are Google and Yahoo’s main
differences and similarities ?
• Who’s winning the Internet battle?
• What will happen with the Yahoo’s
takeover by Microsoft?
They shared a common
• Both companies …
– …were founded by college grad students in
– … aimed to be the biggest Internet revolution
(and they, in fact, were!) by helping internauts
to find their way through the net
– … have become the biggest threat to
Microsoft ever since it was founded
… and basically do the same
• On line advertising (the rest is bullshit)
… but adopted different
• Search engine-based • Partnership-based
• First the service, then • Multiple business
the business model models / Diversified
• Win-win approach with • Nothing outside my
other sites (AdSense) website
None has achieved in
• Innovation • Fast imitating
• Automation • Customization
… but the market has declared
a clear winner up to now…
What does Microsoft add to
• Needs to reinvent itself
– Expected limited growth in cow-business
– Digital world opens the door to new
challengers: Linux, Apple, Google
• Desperately seeking Internet partner
– Forced to act after losing ground to Google in
the online advertising business.
– Can’t wait for a Google – Yahoo alliance
– There are no other purchasing options
What will happen?
• Yahoo will reject turnover… at current
• Microsoft will increase price (they have
no choice, remember?)
• Yahoo will accept
• Microsof will fail in the Internet again
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.