1. Properties of Ocean Water Mr. Silva Ag Earth Science
2. Properties of Ocean Water• Ocean water is a complex solution of dissolved gases and solids, small particles and tiny organisms that sustains a variety of plants and animal life.• Ocean water is only 96.5 % pure water.
3. Properties of Ocean Water• There are about 75 different chemicals in the ocean.• The 6 most abundant – Chlorine – Sodium – Magnesium – Sulfur – Calcium – Potassium
4. Properties of Ocean Water• 1. Salinity of Ocean Water a. Salt (sodium chloride) makes up 78 % of the ocean’s solids b. Salinity: The amount of dissolved solids in ocean water as the form of salt
5. Properties of Ocean Water– c. Salinity increases with evaporation rate and depth i. Tropical waters have a higher salinity than polar waters ii. Surface waters have a higher salinity than greater depths– d. The relative amounts of dissolved solids in the ocean is constant (although specific locations may differ) due to a continuous mixing of all parts of the ocean
6. Properties of Ocean Water• 2. Temperature of Ocean Water – a. Ocean water absorbs infrared wavelengths of sunlight – b. Surface Temperature i. Infrared waves are completely absorbed in the surface layer of water • Constant mixing distributes the heat downward • Ocean water temperature decreases with increasing depth
7. Properties of Ocean Water• c. Just below surface water, the temperature drops sharply i. Warm water cannot mix easily with cold, denser water ii. Thermocline: the zone of rapid temperature change