1. Once upon a time there was an Indian rowing team
2. India and Japan agreed to do an annual rowing race.Each team should contain 8 men.
3. Both teams worked really hardto get in the best shape. Theday the race started bothteams were in similar condition.....the Japanese won by 1 mile.
5. The mood in the Indian team was reallyclose to the freeze point. The topmanagement decided to win the racenext year. So they established a teamof analysts to observe the situation andrecommend an appropriate solution.
6. After several detailed analysis the team found out that Japanesehad 7 rowers and only one captain.
7. Of course the Indian team had 7 captains but only one rower.
8. Facing such critical scenario the management showed an unexpectedwisdom: they hired the consulting company to restructure the Indianteam.
9. After several months the consultants came upwith the conclusion that there were too manycaptains and too few rowers in the Indianteam. A solution was proposed based on thisanalysis: the structure of the Indian team hasto be changed!
10. As of today there will be only 4 captains in the team led by 2managers, one top-manager and one rower. Besides that, theysuggested to improve the rower’s working environment and to givehim higher competencies.
11. Next year the Japanese won by 2 miles.
13. The Indian team immediatelly displaced the rower from theteam based on his unsatisfactory performance.
14. But the bonus award was paid to the managementfor the strong motivation the the team showedduring the preparation phase.
15. The consulting company prepared anew analysis, which showed that thestrategy was good, the motivation wasO.K. but the used tool has to beimproved. Performed by ROCE
16. Currently the Indian team isdesigning a new boat.