2. Virtual Classroom definition.Professor Murray Turoff of New Jersey Institution of Technology, USAstates in (2007), “Virtual Classroom is a web-based environment thatallows you to participate in live training event without the need totravel, You listen to lectures, participate in lab exercises, askquestion, receive feedback just as you would do in a conventionalclassroom- except you do it from the convenienceof your desktop, or anywhere you havean Internet and phone connection.”
3. Learning theories and technologyThe main two theories are the Instructivism and The constructivism.1. Instructivism is considered a teacher-centred(the passive learning).2. constructivism is a learner-centred learning, the teacher role is only to prepare the activities.Virtual Classroom can support either constructivism or instructivism.Technology role is to transfer learningmaterials and to increase remote-interactionwithout need to face-to-face interaction.Salomon (1994)
5. Asynchronous Virtual ClassroomIt refers to all the offline technological learning activities.Students can do their learning in their convenience time and place anduse all electronic handouts, presentations or videos and also they cansubmit their assignments .Examples :1. Blackboard.2. WebCT.3. Moodle.4. SchoolGen.
6. SchoolGen WebCT Moodle Claroline software
7. Synchronous Virtual ClassroomStudent in this type can learn, communicate and exchange theirknowledge and materials instantly, as it would be in a real classroom.The most advantage of this type that all related conversation orpresentation or explanation can be saved ina memory to be achieved when needed.1. Interactive Whiteboard.2. Video Conferencing.3. Audio Conferencing.4. Chatting rooms.
8. Video Conferencing Interactive Whiteboard Chatting rooms. Audio Conferencing.
9. Virtual Classroom advantages1. Accessing to advanced knowledge and educational experiences.2. Delivering learning services to all needed people.3. Increase the interaction environment by sharing some materials.4. Improving the quality of the education by using the computer to support a collaborative learning environment.5. Reducing learning expenses6. Remove many hassles on teachers by adding some CAA and electronic materials.
10. Virtual Classroom disadvantages1. All traditional materials should be transferred to an electronic files by teachers.2. Time limitation with some instructors and some time is not paid.3. Lack of Socialization and increase the isolation is a serious problem.4. Getting an immediate responses from teacher is slightly difficult.5. Teacher’s skills might not help him to make the class more active.6. Technical problems could be one of the best excuse for some students absence.
11. Enhancing Engagement within Virtual Classroom context
12. Enhancing Engagement within Virtual Classroom context
13. Enhancing Engagement within Virtual Classroom context1. Arranging activities every 3 to 5 minutes.2. Using different functional tools: shared board, polling, games.3. Balancing using videos, audios or texts to support the objectives.4. Writing coloured notes and highlighting the new ideas.5. Asking questions then ask participants to answers on screen together.6. Activating Breakout rooms.7. Using online polling and survey as a formative evaluation to either move on or repeat. It is recommended to be done anonymously.8. Using emotional icons motivates the participation and engagement.