1. ADVANTAGES OF CAVITY
PRESENTED BY :
MOHD KHALID SHAIKH : 120770106114
GITANGALI PANDEY : 120770106115
MANAN SETH : 120770106116
SUBMITTED TO : BUILDING CONSTRUCTION DEPT.
CIVIL DEPT. , 4TH SEM
– Benefits of cavity walls over solid walls.Benefits of cavity walls over solid walls.
– Name different components used in cavity wallsName different components used in cavity walls
and there use.and there use.
3. Main functions of walls
Part of a cavity wall with the
internal skin removed to
expose the Insulation
4. CAVITY WALL:
• Cavity walls consist of
two 'skins' separated by a
• The skins are commonly
masonry such as brick or
• Masonry is an absorbent
material, and therefore
will slowly draw rainwater
or even humidity into the
• The cavity serves as a
way to drain this water
back out through weep
holes at the base of the
wall system or above
windows, but is not
5. CAVITY WALL INSULATORS :
• Cavity wall insulation
is used to reduce heat
loss through a cavity
wall by filling the air
space with material
that inhibits heat
6. CAVITY WALL INSULATORS :
• The Government regards cavity wall
insulation as one of the most effective
energy saving measures that you can
carry out to your home and as well as
saving you money it helps reduce
emissions of carbon dioxide, the main
greenhouse gas causing climate change.
• This is because up to 35% of the heat loss
from your property is through the walls.
7. Return corner of a cavity wall in stretcher bond
including wall ties and DPC
8. WALL TIES :
• Wall ties ensure that the wall leafs do notWall ties ensure that the wall leafs do not
part away from each other, effectivelypart away from each other, effectively
splitting the two leaves. The normalsplitting the two leaves. The normal
spacing of the ties is laid down in thespacing of the ties is laid down in the
Building Regulations.Building Regulations.
9. Wall Ties
There are a large variety of different
types of wall ties, but they all have
two basic requirements of:-
1 .Tieing the outer and inner leaf of
the cavity wall together.
2 .Prevent moisture passing from
the outer to the inner skin of
10. Cavity walls in block construction
11. Cavity walls in brick construction with
12. Advantages of Cavity walls.Advantages of Cavity walls.
• The moisture cannot enter from outer wall toThe moisture cannot enter from outer wall to
inner wall , since there is no direct contact.inner wall , since there is no direct contact.
• Provide good insulation aganist sound.Provide good insulation aganist sound.
• Protection aganist efflorescence.Protection aganist efflorescence.
• Proves economical during construction.Proves economical during construction.
• Load on the foundation is reduced.Load on the foundation is reduced.
• Reduction of heat transfer ,since air layerReduction of heat transfer ,since air layer
between leaves acts as non-conductor ofbetween leaves acts as non-conductor of