1. Mesabi Range College STEM CAMP 2009 Discovery and Exploration
2. Inspiring the next age of great thinkers
3. Mesabi Range College Stem Camp <ul><li>Excellent Applied Learning Opportunities and amazing field learning experiences – Cirrus Air Design, Clipper Wind, French River Hatchery, U.S. Steel, DNR, Soudan Underground Mine and Research Lab </li></ul><ul><li>Passionate and committed college instructors with vast experience and knowledge in physics, engineering, chemistry, and biology. </li></ul>
4. Students work on designing their fuel cell cars…
5. Engaged Learning!
6. Inspiring young women Over the past few years, STEM studies have grown in popularity with girls/young women. Forty-five to fifty percent of STEM Camp attendees at Mesabi Range College have been girls.
7. Dr. Keith Mattson shares his passion for engineering.
8. Local industry supports the STEM Initiative Students tour the Virginia Public Utility and learn about several career opportunities.
10. Next stop -- Underground
11. Field trip to the Soudan Underground Mine and U of M Nutrino Research Center. We are going how far underground?!
14. Reflection and opportunity for shared learning.
15. Students interact with their STEM Camp teacher as well as learning from each other. . “ Skip the lecture… show me.”
16. What we discovered at STEM CAMP 2009
17. <ul><li> Students enjoy learning in teams. And they seem to be onto something. </li></ul>
18. Engaged Learning Exponential classroom and field learning – teacher to student, student to student, group to group, … Opportunity for applied and reinforced learning. Communication skills Encouragement for participation by all. Real World Experience – engineering and manufacturing teams, etc.
19. Mesabi Range College STEM Camp 2009 A successful story of inspiring the next generation of innovative young minds in the fields and study of science, technology, engineering and math.