By Muhammad Nabeel
July 28, 2013
INTRODUCTION TO WCF ROUTING SERVICE
• Sr. Consultant at Neudesic
• More than 14 years of experience
• Currently working on WCF, Web API and MVC 4.0
• Blogs at mnabeelkhan.blogspot.com
• What is WCF Routing Service?
• Key features
• Where to use and where not to use WCF Routing
• Developing a WCF Routing Service
• Q &A
WHAT IS WCF ROUTING SERVICE
“A generic SOAP intermediary that has the ability to route messages
based on message content”
When a message is received on a router, it looks for:
• Action header
• Receive address
• Address prefix
• Message header
KEY FEATURES OF WCF ROUTING SERVICE
• Content-based routing
• Protocol bridging
• SOAP processing
• Advanced error handling
• Backup endpoints
MESSAGE EXCHANGE PATTERNS (MEPS)
• One-way: ISimplexDatagramRouter
• One-way with session: ISimplexSessionRouter
• Request-reply: IRequestReplyRouter
• Duplex: IDuplexSessionRouter
WCF routing listens to messages using the above mentioned MEPs.
EXAMPLES OF WCF ROUTING USES
• To expose one service to outside world and route
messages to other services that are hidden.
• Bridge protocols (We would use that in our demo).
• Load balancing.
• Fault tolerance.
• Complex architecture
• REST base services
• Custom message filters that are too heavy.
WHERE NOT USE WCF ROUTING SERVICE