UNDERSTANDING TEACHER LEADERSHIP
Activity Materials / Procedure Time
General Materials Purpose / Audience
• Blue tape • Purpose: Help participants gain an understanding of the nature
of teacher leadership
• Audience: MSC Representatives, STEM, & LEA (would also be
appropriate Teacher Leaders)
Understanding Teacher Leadership Materials: 45 minutes
• 8 ½ x 11” cards with quotes about teacher leadership (select about one-
third the number of statements as participants).
• Reflection sheet: Reflection on Teacher Leadership
1) Have quotes posted around the room. Advance
2) Introduce activity using the talking points below. (For sample
comments see attached “Script for Teacher Leadership Activity”.) 5 minutes
• There is a need for infusion of new blood into leadership
• Teacher leadership is not well defined
• Every teacher’s situation is different
• Teachers far exceed the expectations held for them
3) Procedure for activity:
• Explain that the purpose of the following activity is to construct a 5 minutes
working definition of teacher leadership
• When ready to begin, ask participants to walk around the room and 10 minutes
read the statements on the walls. Invite them to choose one
statement that attracts them and to stand or sit near that
• After everyone has selected a statement, ask those who have
selected a particular statement to introduce themselves to one
another and to discuss the following questions:
a. Why did you select this statement? (What about it attracted
b. What does this statement have to do with your work?
(NOTE: If someone is alone at a station in the room, invite
her or him to make a second choice and join a group.)
• After about 10 minutes, invite each group to report briefly on the 15 minutes
group members’ discussions about the teacher leadership
• If time permits, invite participants to read aloud the statements
about teacher leadership that were not selected by anyone and ask:
a. What about these statements did not appeal to you?
b. Do you think the statements do not represent teacher
leadership or were they simply not as appealing as the
statement that you selected?
• Allow time for participants to reflect (individually or as teams) using 10 minutes
“Reflection on Teacher Leadership” handout.
• Begin work on definition of teacher leadership.