2. Index Objectives A Story Team Types of Teams Team Building Characteristics of Team Building Stages of Team Building Team Evaluation Magic of Synergy
3. Objectives Understanding the terms TEAM and TEAM BUILDING Different types of Teams and their Features Stages of Team Building How to evaluate Team Importance of Synergy
4. A StoryThere is a story about four people named Everybody,Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.There was an important job to be done and Everybodywas asked to do. Anybody could have done it. Nobodydid it.Somebody got angry about that because it wasEverybody ‘s job. Everybody thought Anybody coulddo it but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t doit. Consequently it would up that Nobody toldAnybody, so Everybody blamed Somebody. But still NOBODY DID IT!!
5. A Team is where People depend on each otherMay or may not work in the same physical locationCombine to achieve something togetherWork together successfullySolve problems and reach decisions by getting input fromeverybodyCan adapt to changeSustain the enthusiasm and lend support needed to completethe task
6. United We Grow, Divided We FallT TogetherE Empowering each otherA AchieveM More
7. Types of Teams Functional Operating TeamCross-Functional TeamSelf- Managing TeamSelf- Defining TeamTop Executive Team
8. Features Functional Operating Team - Formal Leader - Members with similar, but specialized functions - Eg: Maintenance Crew Self- Managing Team - No Formal Leader – leadership may rotate - Members with similar, but specialized functions - External leader in the same organization to direct, coach, support and delegate
9. Features Cross Functional Team - Usually has a Formal Leader - Members with different functions- various stakeholders - Eg: Maintenance Crew Self-Defining Team - No formal leader – leadership may rotate - Facilitator act as leader – role rotates - Members will have similar goals or business purpose, but specialization of roles is possible -Eg: Restaurants
10. Features Top Executive Team - A leader elected by Board of Directors - Directors of the Organizations, Department Heads, Corporate Heads etc.Eg: Chairman, MD, DMD, CEO, CFO, COO etc.
11. Team Building The process of working with a team to clarify its task and how team members can work together to achieve it. Is the process of enabling the group of people to reach their goal. Process of making a team effective
12. Characteristics of Team Building•High level of Interdependence among Team Members•Everyone willing to contribute•Relaxed climate for communication•Mutual Trust•Clear idea about Targets•Defined Roles•Creating new ideas
13. Stages in Team Building Forming Storming Norming Performing Adjourning
14. Forming High dependence on leader for guidance and direction Little agreement on team Individual roles and responsibilities are unclear Must be prepared to answer lots of question and the team’s purpose and external relationships Members test tolerance of system
15. Storming Decisions don’t come easily within group Team members vie for position Clarity of purpose increases but plenty of uncertainties persist Compromises my be required to enable progress
16. Norming Team members realize that they are not going to crash- and-burn and start helping each other. Members accept: - their team and their roles in the team; - team rules and procedures; - the individuality of fellow members. Sense of Team Spirit The team discusses and develops its processes and working style
17. Performing The team clearly knows what it is doing and why The team has a shared vision There is a focus over-achieving goals Disagreements occur but they are resolved positively Team members look after each other The team does not need to be instructed or assisted
18. Adjourning Adjourning , is the break-up of the group, hopefully when their task is completed successfully, their purpose fulfilled; every one can move on to new things, feeling good about what has been achieved Recognition of and sensitivity to people ‘s vulnerabilities during the fifth stage is helpful to organization Celebrate team achievements
19. Team Evaluation Team goals Participation Feedback Team Decision making Leadership Problem Solving Conflict
20. The Magic of SYNERGY Normally, 1+1=2. But, sometimes when we work as a TEAM, 1+1 may become 11, 111, or even 1111! In fact, there is no limit. That is called SYNERGY; It is SYNCHRONISED ENERGY. It has a MULITIPLIER EFFECT.
21. Stories Hare & Tortoise From the birds flying in a formation? Who moved my cheese?
22. Coming together is beginning Keeping together is progress and Working together is success By M. Mahesh KumarT hank you! Manager- P & A