Objectives• Describe the importance of CompTIA Network+ certification• Illustrate the structure and contents of the CompTIA Network+ certification exam• Plan a strategy to prepare for the exam
Who Needs CompTIA Network+?I just want to Learn about Networks!
What is CompTIANetwork+ Certification?
• An industry-wide, vendor-neutral certification – Developed by the Computer Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) – Passing shows a basic competency in the physical support of networking systems – Passing shows a knowledge of conceptual aspects of networking
• Demonstrates knowledge equivalent to a network technician with nine months of networking experience• Requires one computer-based, multiple- choice exam• Widely recognized throughout the IT industry
What is CompTIA?
• A nonprofit industry trade association• Members include computer resellers, value-added resellers, distributors, manufacturers, and training companies
• Founded in 1982• Offers certifications for a variety of computer industries• A+, Network+, I-Net+, Security+, and more
CompTIA Network+was revised in 2009
How do I become CompTIA Network+ certified?
• Pass one computer-based, multiple-choice exam – No prerequisites or networking experience – No special training course or materials required
• One Hundred multiple-choice questions• Ninety-minute time limit• Minimum pass score of 720 on a scale of 100-900• Objectives organized into CompTIA Network+ Domains
This table lists the domains, and the percentage of the test each represents.CompTIA Network+ Domain Percentage1.0 Network Technologies 20%2.0 Network Media and Topologies 20%3.0 Network Devices 17%4.0 Network Management 20%5.0 Network Tools 12%6.0 Network Security 11%
• More About the Exam – Practical questions involving • Real-life troubleshooting scenarios • Hardware and software failures • “What do you do next?” • “What is the most likely problem?”
• More About the Exam (cont.) – Know how to install and configure a PC to connect to a network using these skills and knowledge: • Install and test a network card • Configure drivers • Load all network software • Know different topologies, standards, and cabling • Know the OSI seven-layer model • Know the protocol suites – especially TCP/IP
How do I take the test?
• Go to an Authorized Testing Center – Prometric: 888-895-6116 (www.prometric.com) – Pearson VUE: 877-551-7587 (www.vue.com) – More info on centers at www.comptia.org
How much does the test cost?
• Price fixed by CompTIA• At publication time, $239 (U.S.) for non-CompTIA members• You can save money by purchasing an exam voucher through CompTIA member companies
• When registering: – Need Social Security number (or international equivalent) – Pay by credit card or unique voucher number – International prices vary
How to Pass theCompTIA Network+ Exam
• Keep it simple! – Read the book – Practice the questions at the end of chapters – Take practice tests on the CD in the back of the book – Review any topics you missed
• Obligate yourself – Schedule the exam – Determine necessary study time – Call Prometric or Pearson VUE or register for the exam online• Set aside the right amount of study time
Table 1.1 Determining How Much Study Time You Need Amount of Experience/Study Time (in hours)Type of Experience None Once or Twice On Occasion Quite a BitInstalling a SOHO wireless network 4 2 1 1Installing an advanced wireless network 2 2 1 1 (802.1X, RADIUS, etc.)Installing structured cabling 3 2 1 1Configuring a home router 5 3 2 1Configuring a Cisco router 4 2 1 1Configuring a software firewall 3 2 1 1Configuring a hardware firewall 2 2 1 1Configuring an IPv4 client 8 4 2 1Configuring an IPv6 client 3 3 2 1Working with SOHO WAN connection 2 2 1 0 (DSL, cable)Working with an advanced WAN connection 3 3 2 2 (Tx, OCx, ATM)Configuring a DNS server 2 2 2 1Configuring a DHCP server 2 1 1 0Configuring a Web application server 4 4 2 1 (HTTP, FTP, SSH, etc.)Configuring a VLAN 3 3 2 1Configuring a VPN 3 3 2 1Configuring a dynamic routing protocol 2 2 1 1
• Study for the test – Historical/Conceptual: not on the test, but greatly aids understanding – Test-specific: topics fit within the CompTIA Network+ certification domains