P3.4 Tools, Measurement, and SafetyPresentation Transcript
How would a standard system of
measurements, agreed to and used around
the world, make life easier? Give examples.
1. Identify tools used to collect and analyze data.
2. Explain the importance of the International
System of Units.
3. Identify the appropriate units to use for
4. Identify safety symbols.
Tools in Science
To get the best measurements
You need the proper tools.
Tools are also used to:
○ Even pencils and paper
The International System of Units (SI)
current name for the metric system.
○ Used by most scientists and almost all countries.
All SI units are based on the number 10.
SI unit - meter (m).
Amount of matter that something is made of
SI unit - kilogram (kg)
Amount of space that something occupies.
Liquids - liters (L) or milliliters (mL)
Solids - cubic meters (m3), cubic centimeters (cm3)
Amount of matter in a given volume
SI unit – gram per milliliter (g/mL) or grams per cubic
○ Derived quantity!
measure of how hot (or cold) something is.
○ Scientists often use degrees Celsius (°C) as the unit.
○ SI base unit - Kelvins (K)
d e n s ity
m a s s
v o lu m e
Always follow your
Read lab procedures
carefully and thoroughly.
Pay special attention to
safety information and
know the safety