Gesualdo and Mirabella are in the province of Avellino, one of the main cities of the Campania region, in the south of Italy.
Campania and its main towns The Campania region is situated in the south of Italy. There are five provinces: Naples, Caserta, Salerno, Avellino, Benevento. The name derives from Latin, as it was called by Romans Campania felix ("fortunate Countryside"). Campania is one of the most beautiful regions of Italy, rich in history, traditions and natural parks.
Some views from Campania The Gulf Naples The Green Irpinia Avellino Ravello Salerno Caserta vecchia Caserta Rocca dei Rettori Benevento
The province of Avellino is also known as Irpinia. The name "Hirpinia“ comes from the Oscan language : hirpus is the wolf, which still lives in Irpinia and represents its symbol. The Avellino province includes 119 towns, which are in the Appenininc region with the highest peaks in Campania and with its spontaneous vegetation. Irpinia, the green heart of Campania, is today as it was yesterday: rich in nature, folklore and history, a land of ancient tradition and profound culture.
It was the residential village of the famous Italian madrigalist Carlo Gesualdo (1566-1613).
The village has a small but well-preserved monumental site with many churches, fountains, great belvederes and a huge middle-age castle which is partially re-built after a tragic earthquake in the 80s.
It is situated on the top of a hill and it is a typical example of a feudal building. The origins of the castle can be dated back to the half of the VII century(the Longobard period).
The castle has suffered many damages and ravages during the centuries: during the French-Spanish war (1460); with the arrival of the French troups in 1799; with the earthquakes in the XVIII and XIX centuries, and in particular with the earthquake in 1980. Today the castle is uninhabited and it needs to be restored.
Celebration of San Vincenzo Ferreri, the “saint with the wings”, on the last Sunday of August.
The flight of the angel is a very spectacular event and imitates the medieval teatre : a rope is streched between a window of the castle of Gesualdo and the bell tower of the SS. Rosario church. A boy is hung at a height of 25 metres and flies from the window to the bell tower for 100m.
During his flight the angel meets the devil and a fight between the two takes place. Of course, the fight is won by the angel.
THE HALBARD PALIO Gesualdo The Halbard Palio revokes one of the few happy events in the life of Prince Carlo Gesualdo: the meeting with his son Emanuele on March 2 nd , 1609.
Mirabella has about 8,300 inhabitants: it is situated at 372 metres above the sea level on one of the most famous Roman routes, the Via Appia, and it is one of the most ancient towns of Irpinia. Its origins go back to the Eneolitic era.
The town Aeclanum was a Roman colony. The ruins of the colony represent one of the most important touristic attraction of the town.
The town is an important centre of agricultural production and commerce in Irpinia.
Aeclanum was one of the most important centres in the Samnitics-Hirpinian area.
In the year 89 B.C. this small town was plundered by Silla and afterwards it became a Roman colony under the Emperor Hadrian.
It grew into an important commercial centre and public and monumental constructions were built (anphitheatre, thermal baths , aqueduct, forum, etc.). After the fall of the western Roman Empire it was governed by the Ostrogoths and then the Longobards.
It was destroyed in 662 a.C. by Costant II, the Emperor of the Eastern part of the Empire.
At the town’s entrance there are some archaeological excavations of Aeclanum where the remains of the Roman public, several shops and private homes are visible.
The most representative event in Mirabella is the so–called Tirata del Carro (cart pulling) which takes place on the third Saturday of September during the celebration of the Addolorata.
The cart is a wooden obelisc with a small statue of the Madonna on the top and it is pulled along the centre of Mirabella by oxen and the youths of the town who take it, in procession, to the Addolorata Church where blessing is given.
Our school has been founded in the 70s as associated school of the “SCOCA” Institute of Avellino.
In September 1986 the school becomes an indipendent institution and it is entitled “Giustino Fortunato”, in honour of the famous Italian writer, politician and economist.
In 1992 the Istituto Tecnico Commerciale “Carlo Gesualdo” and the Istituto Professionale of Mirabella join the Istituto Professionale of Gesualdo. Since the 1992/1993 school year our school, the Istituto Statale di Istruzione Superiore, has the following configuration: