Den 7 Things To Do With A Smarter PhonePresentation Transcript
7 Things to Do With a Smarter Phone Alice Mercer DEN Star
1. Taking video and still pictures Document student or other work, Send photos up to twitter, and other social media Livecast
2. Posting to Social Media Twitter a great place to send up questions/problems. You can set it up to get replies sent to you. Facebook a great place to stay in touch and find old and new friends. Plurk has lots of DEN folks, and threaded conversations for those of us who don’t always get Twitter. You can get these on your phone even if your district blocks the sites. You can send posts from any phone with a text plan, and get replies back on your phone as well.
3. Email and Calendaring For iPhones/Androids you’ll need SMTP or POP access For Blackberries you’ll need access to your email client network You can synchronize your phone to your electronic calendar (Outlook, iCal, Google Calendar, etc.) to add appointments and get reminders You can keep track of tasks (Outlook, Remember the Milk, Google tasks)
4. Reading and more eReader apps for novels RSS apps for blogs, etc. Apps to read Word/PDF and other email attachments Apps to take notes and keep lists
5. Podcasts and Music Apps to stream over the air Store the shows and listen even when you have no connection (air travel) Stream Internet radio (Pandora, Slacker, LastFM) Store and play MP3s
6. Maps, Navigation, and Directions Maps that are interactive Maps that give directions Maps that tell you about stuff that’s nearby (like which gas station has the best price)
7. Surfing the web They all have everything but flash(iPhone Safari is fine, for Android try Dolphin, and Blackberry try mini Opera) You’d be surprised how good it is Great for meetings, being on the go, etc.