Read the historical fiction from
1. What are 3 differences to the
world the article mentions?
2. How would your life have
changed if the South would
have won the war?
3. Based on the changes in
technology, do you think the
South would have abolished
slavery on its own without the
4. Do you agree with the
conclusion at the end of the
Civil War pretest
½ sheet of paper
Don’t use your book or ask any of the
junior historians, if you don’t know
1. When was the US Civil War?
2. What were two names for each
side of the US Civil War?
3. Which side won?
4. How was the US Civil War viewed
5. Name two important generals and
6. Describe as many important
battles as you can from the war.
Start Project @
Project due Thurs
Armies should use whatever means
necessary to win wars
Armies should never attack civilians
Armies try their best to not destroy
property of civilians
People who lose property during wars
should get $$$ from the winning side
Veterans of the Union and Confederate
armies should get pensions
Slaves should get money after being
released, even if it comes from Northern
Today: How the war ends and how to
move on as a country
Historical time: Reconstruction
(Gen.) Sherman’s March to the Sea
Questions for back of cartoon
1. Was the Civil War a “good war”?
2. Were the Union troops “the good guys”? Give at
least two historical reasons
3. What role should the rebel flag play in our
modern society? (Banned, used in history class,
used in South?)
4. Why do you think many historians consider Abe
Lincoln to be one of the best presidents?
Put the “Reconstruction” Amendments in
Amendments 13, 14, & 15
1. Page 372, why was the Emancipation
Proclamation huge for the Union war effort?
2. If you were a free black person living in Boston at
the time would you have joined the Union army?
3. For each amendment summarize what it does
4. Small picture
5. Historical background, chapter 12
6. Why does it help you today?
• Abolishes slavery in the United States!!
• “Juneteenth” -- June 19, 2010
Next Reconstruction assignment
One paper per group
1. Besides protecting the country, why do people join the US
2. What are some positive things about being in the military?
3. What are some negative things about being in the military?
4. What does it mean if something is “questionable”. Give 1
President Ulysses S. Grant
• Civil War hero
1. Which 2 wars produced the most US presidents?
2. Which two presidents had the longest military careers?
3. Which presidents lacked military experience?
4. Which presidents have questionable military experience?
5. Two potential benefits about presidents with military
6. Two potential issues that might come up with presidents
with military experience
7. How was the South politically organized in 1867?
8. What did President Grant do with the KKK?
9. Why is U. S. Grant considered one of the worst
10. Does your group feel that a presidential candidate needs
to have military experience in order to be successful?
1. At least two reasons Ole Miss
should ditch this mascot. His
name is “Colonel Reb”
2. One argument to keep him
Need 2 public speakers for tmw
Star wars clip
Read the article
# 3 What is happening to confederate images all over the South? Give 2
# 4 Why might some people want to keep those images?
#5 Why might some people want rename the parks in the South?
Skim Chapter 12
#6 Who were the scalawags and carpetbaggers, why were they helpful to the
South, why hurtful.
#7 Why might some people view the Freedman’s Bureau as a long run failure?
#8 Why do you think freed slaves didn’t get any land or property?
#9 Compare and contrast slavery with sharecropping.
#10 How did Reconstruction end? (Corrupt Bargain)
#11 In order to pay for the expensive war, Congress passed the first income
taxes, how do you think people in the North felt about this?
Civil War Projects
• Advancements in
• Famous Generals
• Military Life & Medicine
• War in the South –
• Blacks and Female
• Textbook, or additional
sources cite page
numbers, MLA if you use
• Your Choice:
• 5 paragraph essay
• Board game
• 5 letters home from
• Youtube puppet
• 8-12 page comic
5 bonus pt in class
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.