Lesson 6 - How can we deal with poverty?Presentation Transcript
2.4 How can we deal with poverty? Lesson 6
How to help the poor?
A. Government ( 政府 )
B. NGOs ( 非政府組織 )
C. Individuals ( 個人 )
In 2009, the government decided to set a standard minimum wage ( 標準最低工資 ) across different industries.
Ensure low-educated and low-skilled workers a reasonable ( 合理的 ) wage level.
Reviews ( 檢討 ) policies on poverty alleviation ( 扶貧 ), hop ing to offer more appropriate help to them.
E.g. CSSA scheme, Transport Support Scheme ( 交通費支援計劃 )
Promotes the development of the economy and social enterprises ( 社會企業 )
Aims to create more job opportunities for low-skilled people.
Has provided training courses to low-skilled and low-educated people
To improve their working skills
They offer help to the poor so as to reduce poverty.
E.g. ‘ F ood banks’ ( 食物銀行 ): provide food for poor families in urgent ( 緊急的 ) situations
Propose ( 建議 ) policies on poverty alleviation ( 扶貧 ) to the government
M onitor ( 監察 ) the effects ( 成效 ) of relevant government policies
Fight for the rights ( 權利 ) of low-income workers.
E.g. Urging ( 催促 ) to set minimum wage and maximum working hours ( 最高工時 )
We can understand and care about poor people, avoid discrimination ( 歧視 ) and prejudice ( 偏見 ).
We can join voluntary work ( 義務工作 ) to help the disadvantaged ( 弱勢社群 ).
We can donate money or other things to poor people.
1. Education refers to any types of learning activities, including school education, ________________, and personal further education.
2. Primary Six students can get places in government or aided secondary schools through the ______________________ System.
Secondary School Places Allocation System
( 中學學位分配辦法 )
3. There are ______ universities in Hong Kong.
4. Students have to sit for tests and exams. The great stress may adversely affect their ___________ and physical health.
mental ( 精神上的 )
5. Some countries have set a ‘_________________’ which acts as a criterion ( 標準 ) to define poverty and identify poor population.
poverty line ( 貧窮線 )
6. The Hong Kong government divides households into 10 income groups according to household income. The number of domestic households in each group is the same (i.e. 10% of total number of households). They are called _________ groups.
decile ( 十等分 )
7. The ________________ can be used to measure the disparity ( 差距 ) between the rich and the poor in a region.
Gini coefficient ( 堅尼系數 )
8. The Gini coefficient has a value ( 數值 ) between _____ and _____.
Check the following:
1) Is it the case in Hong Kong?
2) Is it on-topic? (about the poverty problems in Hong Kong)