What does ‘location’ mean? – It means ‘where is it’. Can you tell me where is China? (Close the textbook.)
What is a continent? – A large area of land on the Earth’s surface, surrounded by the ocean, consists of (made up of) various countries. Ocean – a very large area of sea. Australasia – includes Australia and New Zealand
In this map, you can the latitudes and longitudes on a plain map instead of a globe.
We use a line of latitude and a line of longitude to show the location of a place on a map / globe. – a latitude and a longitude cross, a ‘point’ will be formed. For the case of a big country, like China, since it’s area is very big, there can be many lines of latitudes and longitudes going through it (refer to slide 3). So, we can use another method to tell where is a (big) country on the map. You will know this method in your textbook Activity 1 on p. 1.
km² =square kilometre 平方公里 平方公里 = 100 公頃 = 0.386 平方哩
The location of China in terms of latitude and longitude China crosses about 50º in latitude from south to north and 60º in longitude from east to west.
1. China’s Resources and Population
2. Topic 1 – The geographical setting and resources of China
3. What is the location of China? Let’s start with reading a map!
4. World map: Continents and oceans
5. World map: Countries
6. Latitudes and Longitudes (Globe) A line which goes round the globe from east to west. Latitude [ 緯線 ] ： A line which joins the North Pole and the South Pole on the globe. Longitude [ 經線 ] ： N ↑ North Pole (90 ºN) South Pole (90 ºS)
7. Latitudes (Globe) N ↑ e.g. 40ºN e.g. 40ºS [ 赤道 ]
8. Longitudes (Globe) N ↑ Greenwich (England) Prime Meridian (0º) [ 本初子午線 ] East West
9. Latitudes and longitudes (map) We use latitudes and longitudes to find the location of places in the world.
10. Latitudes and longitudes (map)
11. <ul><li>Refer to the textbook, p. 1, Activity 1, question 1. </li></ul><ul><li>Where is China? </li></ul><ul><li>Colour the area of China in RED . </li></ul>
13. 2. Check their descriptions of China. Circle the mistake(s) and write the correct answer above it. <ul><li>China is located in the northern part ( 北部 ) of Asia and the west ( 西面 ) of the Atlantic Ocean ( 大西洋 ). </li></ul><ul><li>It has many neighboring countries ( 鄰國 ), such as Russian Federation ( 俄羅斯聯邦 ), India ( 印度 ) and Vietnam ( 越南 ). </li></ul><ul><li>Its area is about 9.6 million km² . It is the second largest country in the world. </li></ul>
14. 2. Check their descriptions of China. Circle the mistake(s) and write the correct answer above it. 東部 太平洋
15. 3. Apart from the countries mentioned, what are the other neighbouring countries of China? Give THREE examples.
16. Activity 1 question 3: Neighouring countries of China