Transcript of "Women Who Tech Presentation: Women, Technology and Social Capital"
It’s probably useful for me to start by describing
what I mean by social capital...
Social Capital (Pierre Bourdieu 1983):
the aggregate of the actual or potential resources
which are linked to possession of a durable
network of more or less institutionalized
relationships of mutual acquaintance and
Social Capital includes:
• access to ideas and talent through your connections
• access to resources through your connections
• “potential” access to further resources (more distant, but very legitimate)
• saved up favors (reciprocity is huge - which is why doing good stuff matter a
lot with social capital)
• accomplishments (slightly different from reputation, it is the more fungible
form of SC - resumes, awards, etc.)
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.