109. 1. Get advice and input from experts but design
for the broader community
2. Respond to all feedback, even when you
respond by saying, “No thanks.”
3. Do not take negative feedback personally;
remember that when people give feedback,
they are doing so because they care and have
taken the time to improve their experience.
4. Give credit to those whose ideas you
implement; nothing says “we are open to
110. 5. When you a implement new idea, make sure
that you highlight it, and ask for feedback.
6. Make small, continuous changes rather than
waiting to implement everything at once.
7. Don’t just wait for feedback to come to you,
go out and find it; people are probably talking
about your product elsewhere.
8. No matter how many people like you, you will
always have someone who doesn’t - mind the
111. to really become
become part of the
community you serve
113. getting out
114. the question is
115. figure out
116. who is it that you serve?
117. what problem are you solving?
118. for whom?
119. knowing that makes it easier
120. then join them!
121. not as market research
122. not as a voyeur
123. not to sell anyone anything
124. if you join a community with
the wrong intentions
173. 1. Stop moving and look around you until you see
2. Transfer the knowledge.
3. Every time you feel anxiety, acknowledge it.
4. Define your own measure of success.
5. Get outside of your personal circle.
6. Realize that everything is out of your control
7. Have patience.
174. in no time you will feel
175. we’re just one more step away
176. here is some food for thought
177. while money is part of the
178. market economy
179. whuffie is part of the
180. it acts kind of opposite
181. the more you give away, the
more whuffie you gain
182. whuffie is only valuable when it
183. and as it circulates, it
184. but we still need to make $$
to pay the rent
185. so the question is...
186. what can you give away that
won’t leave you broke?
find your higher purpose.
188. born out of passion?
189. serving a need?
190. fighting the good fight?
191. maybe that stuff doesn’t
192. maybe you just want to
193. does it mean that you will be
195. you just have to find a way to
give back to the community
196. the more you give, the more
that comes back
197. 5 gifts to give that won’t leave
198. “nerd values”
do well by doing good
199. “...compared check-writing and
volunteering to cutting the leaves and
branches off a tree, where the heart of the
business and its ability to impact the world
positively is the tree itself.”
Gary Hirshberg, CEO, Stonyfield Farms
200. think customer-centrically
201. not customer-centric
• You do everything you can to keep • You have a long list of customer
your customers on your website. relations policies. Any exception to
those policies has to go up the chain
of command for approval.
• You measure number of visitors and
time spent on your website as
whether you are successful. • You need to create multiple
instructional videos so that your
customers will understand how to
• When budgets get tightened, you
use your product.
make cutbacks in areas like
customer service, marketing,
support staff and design. • You demand social media strategies
that win over the ‘influencers’ to blog
or tweet about your product.
• You are bothered by a customer
describing your product in their own
words that doesn’t match your
• You send customers to other • Your customers are doing things
websites. with your product you never
dreamed and are posting videos.
• You measure how many people refer
their friends to you as success. • Influencers are adding you as friends
on social networks.
• You let people feed in their content
from other sites easily. • You work with your competitors
towards better customer
experiences for all.
• When budgets get tightened, you
tighten operational costs.
• You know you compete for your
customers’ attention with everyone.
• Your only customer service policy is
to do right by the customer.
203. help others go further
204. spread love
206. value something bigger
207. • do well by doing good
• think customer-centrically
• help others go further
• spread love
• value something bigger
209. will grow over time
210. so combine all of the
211. • turn the bullhorn around
• become part of the community you serve
• create amazing experiences
• embrace the chaos
• ﬁnd your higher purpose
225. about those rockin’ images:
• Many are from iStockphoto.com (totally cool site)
• except as marked on the photo...
• a screenshot of my friendwheel: http://
• and the logos & screengrabs I stole from all of the