Define fresh and processed foods and give examples from each category List the criteria for choosing fresh and processed foods Interpret information found on nutrition and food labels Plan nutritious dishes and meals by combining fresh and processed foods Study Scheme
CONTENTS Meat Poultry Eggs Seafoods Fruits Vegetables Frozen food Canned food Ready-to-eat food Dehydrated food Define fresh and processed foods and give examples from each category
1. Meat – from animals Meat from Animals Sheep provide mutton Pigs provide pork Deer provide vension
1. Meat – cuts from animals Cuts of Meat from Lamb Shank meat and Leg meat from leg Cuts of Meat from Sheep Blade chop from shoulder (bbg) Loin chop (bgp) Sirloin chop from leg (gb) Rib chop (bgpr) Spare ribs from breast and fore shank (bbgr)
1. Meat – cuts from animals Cuts of Meat from Cow Pot roast from chuck (bsr) Back ribs(g) Brisket(bs) Ground beef from fore shank(bsb) T-bone steak from short loin(bg) Flank steak(bb) Sirloin steak(bgp) Rump roast from round(brs)
2. Poultry Refers to domesticated birds reared for their meat and eggs. Examples are chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigeons and geese. Poultry contains mainly proteins and some fats, vitamins, iron and phosphorus.
3. Eggs Eggs are a good source of necessary proteins but high in cholesterol and should be consumed every three days. Types of eggs include chicken, quails, ostriches and ducks. Fresh eggs have firm yolks and thick whites and the shell should be intact and free of dirt.
5. Fruits Tropical fruits Fruits that grow in the tropics, that have tropical climates. Examples include Rambutans, Guavas, Bananas and Papayas. Citrus fruits Fruits that are high in Vitamin C. Examples include Oranges, Grapefruits, Lemon and Lime.
5. Fruits Melon fruits Fruits that have a tough outer rind and sweet tasting flesh. Examples include Watermelons, Honeydews and Rockmelons. Berries Fruits that develop from several overies in a flower. Examples include Raspberries and Blackberries.
5. Fruits Pomes Fruits that contain seeds in the centre. Examples include Apples and Pears. Stones / Drupes Fruits that contain one seed in the centre. Examples include Peaches, Plums and Cherries.