Page 1 of 7
STR-581Final Exam Version 1
You can get your own complete guide
A + Tutorial Guaranteed
1. ________ consists of people, equipment, and procedures to gather, sort, analyze, evaluate, and
distribute needed, timely, and accurate information to marketing decision makers.
A. A marketing database
B. A promotional campaign
C. A marketing intelligence system
D. A marketing information system
E. A marketing research system
2. 3M, Hewlett-Packard, Lego, and other companies use the ________ to manage the innovation
A. stage-gate system
B. skunk works
C. new product “team”
D. joint- venture system
E. venture team
3. ________ is the difference between the prospective customer’s evaluation of all the benefits
and all the costs of an offering and the perceived alternatives.
4. Examples of on-the-job training include all of the following except _____.
5. A company can take several steps to improve the quality of its marketing intelligence. If the
company purchases competitive products for study, attends open houses and trade shows,
and reads competitors’ published reports and stockholder information, the company is
using ________ to improve the quality of its marketing intelligence.
6. A ________ is a set of procedures and sources managers use to obtain everyday information
about developments in the marketing environment.
Page 2 of 7
7. A(n) ________ is any good, service, or idea that is perceived as new, no matter how long its
8. Total customer satisfaction is the general feeling of pleasure or disappointment that
results from comparing perceived performance to expectations. To achieve total customer
satisfaction, organizations need to_____________.
9. 8) Particularly when shopping for ego-sensitive products such as perfumes and expensive
cars, many consumers use price as an indicator of ________.
10. A ________ consists of a group of customers who share a similar set of needs and wants.
11. A firm has to consider many factors in setting its pricing policy. We list these as a six-step
process. Which of the following is NOT one of these steps?
12. The marketing manager needs to know the cost of the research project before approving it.
During which of the following stages of the marketing research process would such a
consideration most likely take place?
13. Which of the following types of marketing research firms would best be described as being
one that gathers consumer and trade information which they sell for a fee (e.g., Nielsen
14. Companies normally budget marketing research at ________ percent of company sales.
15. The marketing communications mix consists of six major modes of communications. Which
of the following is NOT one of these modes?
16. The chief disadvantage to a firm that decides to follow a product specialization strategy in
selecting target markets is ________.
17. New-to-the- world products are ________.
18. Major retailer types include the following EXCEPT ________.
19. Marketing communications can contribute to brand equity by establishing the brand in
memory and to________ (in)a brand image.
20. Price has operated as the major determinant of buyer choice among poorer nations, among
poorer groups, and with ________ products.
21. ________ communicates a company’s intended value positioning of its product or brand to the
22. All of the following are benefits of following the ________ approach to target market selection:
a strong knowledge of the segment’s needs, a strong market presence, operating economies
through specializing in production, distribution, and promotion.
23. Some intermediaries use the following: strategic planning, advanced information systems,
sophisticated marketing tools, measure performance on a return-on-investment basis,
segment their markets, improve their target marketing and positioning, and ________.
Page 3 of 7
24. To reach Generation Y, rock band Foo Fighters created a digital street team that sends
targeted e-mail messages to members who “get the latest news, exclusive audio/video
sneak previews, tons of chances to win great Foo Fighters prizes, and become part of the
Foo Fighters Family.” Which of the following techniques for reaching Generation Y are the
Foo Fighters using?
25. The traditional view of conflict is the belief that conflict is _____.
26. The two general approaches to bargaining are known as ________.
27. Which of the following is NOT included in the definition of conflict?
28. If no one is aware of conflict, it is generally agreed that _____.
29. Which of the following statements regarding leadership is true?
30. Which of the following statements best defines a work group?
31. _____ bargaining is negotiation that seeks to divide a “fixed pie.”
32. Examples of off-the-job training include all of the following except _____.
33. Between the late 1960s and the mid-1980s, the use of written tests declined because they
were characterized as _____.
34. Which type of skill training has become increasingly important in organizations?
35. According to a recent survey, about ___ percent of employees working in the 1,000 largest
U.S. corporations receive ethics training.
36. _____ can be used to increase the perception that employees are treated fairly.
37. Whenever Jane is successful she takes full credit for what has happened, but whenever she
is unsuccessful she attributes her failure to bad luck or blames one of her fellow employees.
She is guilty of _____.
38. A task that is subdivided into many separate jobs is considered to have _____.
39. Organizational structure has six key elements. Which of the following is not one of these
40. What term is used for the tendency of an individual to attribute his own successes to
internal factors while putting the blame for failures on external factors?
41. Which of the following is not a primary force for change in organizations?
42. Which of the following would not be classified as a time-series technique?
43. According to Goldratt and Fox, a useful performance measure to treat inventory is ______.
44. According to David Maister, the most complex projects requiring innovation and creativity
are called _________.
Page 4 of 7
45. Operations stage toolkit for the Data Analysis and Solution Development phase include(s):
46. If the system contains a bottleneck, the _______ is the best place for control. If there is no
bottleneck, the __________ is the best place for control.
47. ___________ says to use both bottom-up and top-down processes to increase the chance of
uncovering valuable ideas.
48. Due to asymmetric information, the market fears that a firm issuing securities will do so
when the stock is ___________.
49. Under capital rationing, given the choice among several equally attractive investments, the
best tool to use is the __________.
50. A checking account is __________.
51. __________ says to look for opportunities to invest in positive-NPV projects in foreign markets
or to develop derivatives or design arrangements that enable firms to cope better with the
risks they face in their foreign operations.
52. _________ says to seek out investments that offer the
greatest expected risk-adjusted real return
53. 30) An investor's risky portfolio is made up of individual stocks. Which of the following
statements about this portfolio is true?
__________ says to transfer the tax benefits of ownership to other parties if they are willing to
pay for benefits your firm cannot use.
55. An all-equity-financed firm would __________.
56. “Hard” capital rationing refers to the rationing __________.
57. A key variable covered in our text for the Black-Scholes OPM is __________.
58. The managerial decision best addresses which of the following questions?
59. The investment decision best addresses which of the following questions?
60. The financing decision best addresses which of the following questions?
Page 5 of 7
You can get your own complete guide
61. Which of these investments would you expect to have the highest rate of return for the next
62. Dimensions of risk include __________.
63. __________ says to use derivatives to pay others to take risks.
64. You do a study and find out that, on average, stock prices for firms decrease 3% for every
5% decrease in inside ownership. You are watching the nightly business report and find out
that Magic Tape’s stock has announced that insiders have sold 10% of their holdings. You
are concerned because you own 1,000 shares of Magic Tape and it had closed the day before
unchanged at $30 per share. If markets are at least semi-strong form efficient, what would
65. Which of the following is not an advantage of going public?
66. Incremental analysis would not be appropriate for
67. A transfer price exists when two segments of the same organization sell _____.
68. A _____ gives the expected sales under a given set of conditions.
69. Important factors considered by sales forecasters include all of the following except _____.
70. Efficiency is indicated by _____.
71. Important factors considered by sales forecasters include all of the following except _____.
72. At the break-even point of 2,500 units, variable costs are $55,000, and fixed costs are
$32,000. How much is the selling price per unit?
73. A company has total fixed costs of $120,000 and a contribution margin ratio of 20%. The
total sales necessary to break even are
74. A cost which remains constant per unit at various levels of activity is a
75. For an activity base to be useful in cost behavior analysis,
76. In absorption costing, costs are separated into the major categories of_____.
Page 6 of 7
77. The principal difference between variable costing and absorption costing centers on:?
78. _____ costs relate to more than one product and cannot be separately identified with an
79. The last step in activity-based costing is to
80. Jack and Jill form a partnership. Jack runs the business in New York, while Jill vacations in
Hawaii. During the time Jill is away from the business, Jack increases the debts of the
business by $20,000. Which of the following statements is true regarding this debt?
81. The _____ is not one of the three major financial statements.
82. A local retail shop has been operating as a sole proprietorship. The business is growing and
now the owner wants to incorporate. Which of the following is not a reason for this owner
83. The _____ is also called the statement of financial position.
84. The theory of business social responsibility that holds that a business owes duties solely to
produce the highest return for its shareholders is:
85. Which country does the text describe as becoming the largest producer and consumer of
many of the world's goods?
86. The centerpiece of most diversity programs is:
87. Which social responsibility theory has been advocated by Novel Prizewinning economist
88. Although the U.S. has had a longstanding agreement with ___________, after the passage of
NAFTA, _________ became the United States' second largest trading partner.
89. Which of the following is correct about litigating commercial disputes?
90. Which article of the United States Constitution deals with the judicial power of the federal
91. When an economist says that the demand for a product has increased, this means that:
92. Which of the following statements is generally NOT true about state intermediate appellate
93. If consumer incomes increase, the demand for product Y will _____________.
94. Which of the following is not one of the Caux Round Table Principles for International
Page 7 of 7
95. The force behind globalization in _____ was the amount of muscle, horsepower, wind power,
or steam power that a country could deploy.
96. The global, Web-based platform enables individuals to do which of the following?
97. _____ is the integration of economic, social, cultural, and ecological facets of life, enabled by
98. A _____ scale is a scale that scores an object or property without making a direct comparison
to another object or property.
99. Marketing research is now about a ________ billion industry globally.
100. The use of a(n) _____ serves as a comparison to assess the existence and potency of
You can get your own complete guide from