2. Life Skills“The abilities for adaptive andpositive behaviour that enableindividuals to deal effectively withthe demands and challenges ofeveryday life“
3. “Life skills are essentially thoseabilities that help promote mentalwell-being and competence in youngpeople as they face the realities oflife”
4. Like Skills offers wonderful new waysof looking at life and encourages oneto be authentic.
5. FOCUS AREAS OF LIFE SKILLS• Health and social events,• Prevention of drug use,• Sexual violence,• Teenage pregnancy,• HIV/AIDS prevention,• Suicide prevention, etc
6. • Communication skill,• Problem solving,• Critical thinking,• Creative thinking,• Decision-making,• Interpersonal relationship skills,• Self-awareness building skills,• Empathy,• Coping with stress, and• Coping with emotions
7. COMMUNICATION SKILL• Includes verbal non-verbal communication• Active listening• The ability to express feelings• Give feedback• Presentation skills• Public speaking skills• Negotiation and refusal skills• Assertiveness skills to manage conflicts, etc
8. PROBLEM SOLVINGHelps us to deal constructively withthe problems in our lives
9. DECISION MAKINGFollowing constructively withdecisions about our lives.
10. Creative thinking is simply findingnew, improved ways to do anythingHow to strengthen creative thinkingability?Believe it can be doneHere is a basic truth: To do anything, wemust first believe it can be done.Believing something can be done setsthe mind in motion to find a way to do
11. CRITICAL THINKINGThe ability to analyze information andexperiences in an objective manner.
12. INTERPERSONALRELATIONSHIP SKILLSAre social associations, connections,or affiliations between two or morepeopleHelps us to relate in positive ways withpeople that we interact with.
13. SELF AWARENESS• Recognition of ourselves• Of our character• Of our strength and weaknesses• Desires and DislikesWHO AM I ?
15. STRESS MANAGEMENTAbout recognising our life stressorsand the sources of these in our lives,then we can choose to act in a waythat controls our stress levels.
16. EMOTIONSRecognising our emotions and thoseof others, being aware of howemotions influence behaviour andbeing able to respond to emotionsappropriately.
17. EMPATHYThe ability to think what life is for anotherperson, even in a situation that you maynot be familiar with.The ability to"put oneself into anothers shoes“.
18. DO YOU REMEMBER THIS?
19. DO YOU REMEMBER NOW?
20. PULITZER PRIZE 1994 DURING SUDAN FAMINE That picture depicts a child crawling towards a UN food camp located a kilometer away The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat itKEVIN CARTER
21. IT DOESN’T END HERE…No one knows what happened to thechild, including the photographerKevin Carter who left the place as soonas the photograph was takenThree months later Kevin Cartercommitted a suicide due to depression