FinnMin update 2013: Industrial Outlook - Pekka Suomela, FinnMin
FinnMin update 2013:
What’s up in Finland today?
• Mining industry is booming
Somehow today! Also tomorrow?
• Need of human resources with quality
And we know that?And we know that?
• Metals Industry in Finland
• Dialogue with regulators and authorities
• Expectations for the future are bright but
• FinnMin is a recognized representative of the
Finnish metals and minerals mining industry.
• The association's main objective is to promote
the industry and to maintain its relations withthe industry and to maintain its relations with
National and European institutions at all levels.
• FinnMin also fosters contacts with the mining
community in Nordic countries and in Europe.
• Around 50 members.
• Mining companies, exploration and junior
companies, mining technology, contractors.
• Collaboration with
FinnMin: Field of activities
• Health & Safety
• Laws & regulation
• CSR and Social license• CSR and Social license
• Education & Research
• Communication & Public image
• Lobbying: governmental issues & mining policy
Mining in Finland:
• 12 metal mines in operation in 2013
• > 30 active industrial mineral mines
• Mining industry turnover in 2012 was
1,5 billion €
HR: Labor force in mining Finland:
• Today around 4 500 persons
• Need for more than 5 000 by 2022
• From where?
• Labour force not a problem but lack of
skilled people – same as in Sweden
Economic Impact on the Region
Kittilä Gold mine:
The unemployment rate in Kittilä is below 10 % on average
- during high season 6 %
Annual real estate tax paid by the Kittilä mine EUR 0.25
Annual royalty payment to the State will be ca. EUR 3
Corporate tax will be ca. EUR 15 - 20 million
Kittilä mine’s B 2012 turnover was over EUR 190 million
Mineral policy highlights recently:
Mineral Strategy 2010
Green Mining 2011-16; national innovation
Round Table Process 2012-13
Environmental stress tests for selected mines
MINING POLICY and SOCIAL LICENCE
- times are changing
Media headlines in capital
CSR & Social
Sustainable (balanced) development
Economic viability and technical
CSR & Social license