1. INFECTIOUSA round up of the latest communications news and ideas from around the worldJANUARY 2011Brought to you by
2. MARKS & SPENCERGEOLOCATION OFFERS High street favourite Marks & Spencer has signed-up to O2’s “You Are Here” location-based marketing service, which will see opted-in O2 More users get sent a text or multimedia message offering them a free 250ml smoothie when they approach M&S stores. For a customer to receive a message they must be a part of the O2 More programme, an add-on service that gives exclusive offers and information. Customers then register an interest in the products and services on offer. For M&S, this means when O2 More customers that have expressed an interest in food and drink or clothing enter an area near an M&S store they will be sent a text message featuring a special offer they can redeem at that store, straight away. To redeem the offer customers quote a unique product code from the text to the customer service assistant.
3. STARBUCKS ACCEPT MOBILE PAYMENTSStarbucks have now made it eveneasier for customers to pay for theirmorning caffeine fix thanks to the useof mobile phones. The mobile paymentservice will be available to allBlackberry, iPhone, and iPod Touchowners by downloading an applicationthat will allow them to load a bar-codedirectly into their device. The service isbased on the company’sexisting mobile application, whichallows customers to manage theirStarbucks card balances with theirphone.The service is currently only availablein its 6,800 US stores but is sure toarrive in the UK soon.
4. TAGABLE TELEVISION Shazam Entertainment, the Viewers can then simply hold world’s leading mobile discovery up their smartphones to tag the application, is partnering with programme and the app will American cable channel Syfy recognise the specific episode to bring TV tagging for viewers being aired. It will then offer a of its new show Being Human. variety of information on that The company, which started as show such as previews of next a mobile service to help people episodes, exclusive videos, discover new music, will have its downloads and competitions. logo embedded into the show.
5. THE HUMBLE BIROTURNS 60 To celebrate the brand’s 60th anniversary, BIC has developed a virtual wall where people can leave drawings and messages using a range of BIC cristal pens. Users can also read about the brands history, look at other users creations in the ‘cristal art gallery’ and share their creations with friends via social networks.
6. TURNING UP THE HEATON BUS SHELTERS Caribou Coffee has launched an innovative campaign for its new range of hot breakfast sandwiches. Bus shelters have been installed around Minneapolis that not only look like ovens but are also equipped with real heaters to keep waiting commuters warm in the cold weather.
7. COLOUR OF THE YEAR 2011 Pantone have released their pick for the “colour of the year” for 2011, Pantone 18-2120. Also known as Honeysuckle, the company explains why it represents our current times: “In times of stress, we need something to lift our spirits. Honeysuckle is a captivating, stimulating colour that gets the adrenaline going – perfect to ward off the blues,” explains Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Colour Institute®. “Honeysuckle derives its positive qualities from a powerful bond to its mother colour red, the most physical, viscerally alive hue in the spectrum.”
8. INTERACTIVE DISPLAYWINDOW Aussie streetwear brand WESC have debuted a brand new interactive advertising platform across its stores. The interactive windows allow online users to upload video content, create a personalised background and then choose which city they want to showcase the footage. This really needs to be seen to be believed, so click on the link below: Link: http://vimeo.com/18740420 Don’t forget everything featured is available online at: www.infectious-online.com