HOW TO GET PUBLICITYA Practical How-To for Your Business or Nonprofit
Lori Miller, Sales Marketing & Research
WHNT News 19
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
HOW TO GET PUBLICITY
Let’s talk about common questions about publicity tactics
Image by audio-luci-store.it licensed under ion http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
RELEASE BETTER IDEA
Reason-my event Reason-impact of my event
Event details – sentence form Event details – bullets
Typed quote from spokesperson People available for interview
Event location Video / Photo opportunities
Boilerplate Boilerplate + links to media page
Media contact Media contact
Should I send a press release?
For TV – think visual!!
The event is never
the story. The story
is always about the
people behind the
Who should I send my information to?
Get to know
• News Director
How early should I send it? When is too late?
Understand the news process (review
meetings at 9:15am and 1:30pm)
Events after 3pm make it difficult to tell
Know what you’re competing against
Timing is everything!
Resources & Stock Image from Prdenko at http://www.deviantart.com/art/Clock-209677506
How do I get an in-studio interview?
Prep your speakers
Image by supersarah089 at http://www.deviantart.com/art/Microphone-188152569
How do I get a PSA?
• The message of the PSA reflects a need in the community
• PSAs must be one of the following lengths: :10, :15, :20, :30 or :60.
• WHNT News 19 no longer accepts PSAs on tape
• No business logos or audio mentions for sponsors . And no websites that sell
• PSAs promoting an event must be received a month before the event. Provide
start and end dates for campaign
• WHNT News 19 cannot guarantee PSA placement
on our schedule
• Can’t provide list of air times
Resources & Stock Image by AbsurdWordPreferred at
How do we get WHNT to be a media partner?
Understand the number of asks
Provide a tangible benefit – both ways
Proposal for WHNT Marketing
A FEW MORE THINGS TO KNOW
It’s a 2-way (be available)
Customize your pitch
Email is excellent
WHNT News 19