Wi-Fi Access:ACC students, faculty and staff can use their usernames and passwords to log in to the wireless system in the Scoville building.Stop by the reference desk first for the Wireless Access Password sheet.
1) Choose and develop your topic
2) Find background and overviews
(reference books & circulating books)
3) Find current information
4) Put it all together!
(cite your sources in MLA or APA format)
Databases are not free Web sites…
They’re subscription Web sites:
Original sources are not free: books and magazines
written by experts
– use more sophisticated search techniques…
1) Use the right-sized words:
To find: Search: Use:
Books online catalog big ideas:
(60,000 books) - Steroids
Articles article databases specific ideas:
(millions of articles) -Anabolic steroids and
regulations and baseball
2) Keywords vs. subject headings:
1) Use keywords you think may work : - steroids
2) Find best citations in your results
3) Click on the subject headings : - Anabolic steroids
- Doping in sports
- Athletes – drug use
4) Your new results are usually better!
3) Boolean logic:
Named after English mathematician George Boole (1815-1864).
The most common Boolean search uses “and”
Overlap two or more ideas
steroids and sports
4) Truncation (wildcards):
Wildcard symbol finds all word endings.
Asterisk (*) is most common wildcard
For books and article databases
steroid* finds… steroid, steroids, steroidal
steroid* and sports
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.