Twitter getting started reviews the Twitter basics, best practices and tips and tricks and also dives deep into platforms to help you build your online communities and ways to measure your Twitter
Twitter getting started reviews the Twitter basics, best practices and tips and tricks and also dives deep into platforms to help you build your online communities and ways to measure your Twitter success.
Twitter Getting Started
1. It’s just for kids
2. It takes too much
3. It’s too confusing
4. I don’t see the value
• Award winning marketing professional with 19 years of
traditional and digital experience in B2C and B2B.
• Founder/Principal Out&About Marketing, digital
marketing and social media consultancy focusing on results.
• Frequent speaker on marketing and social media. Past
appearances include American Institute of Floral Designers,
Strategic Marketing Group Technology & Marketing
Conference, American Marketing Association, UNR, 1-800-
Flowers and more.
• Native Bulgarian. Skier, paddleboarder, mountain biker, yogi.
• On Twitter since 2006.
What is Twitter?
• Public chat
• Mobile friendly
• 140 characters message
• Can include a link and shorten
the link with a url shortener
• A great way to meet people
• Instantly connect to what’s
important to you
• Mention - you can mention someone with their twitter
handle @milenaregos how are you today?
• Retweet - you can retweet a tweet by adding RT in front.
• Hashtag - using #whatever you can create hashtags that
allow people to follow a discussion. Great for chats,
conferences and SEO. #justdon’toverdoit
• Followers - people who follow you
• Following - people whom you follow
• DM - Direct Message is a private tweet.You can only send
to people who follow you.
• Lists - way to organize your following
• Link - a link to a website, blog, image, video
• Favorites - tweets that you favorite (similar to
Home will show you
the tweets from
everyone you follow
This is your proﬁle
How to build an
• Organize your following with lists.
• Subscribe to good lists.
• Follow hashtags
• Participate in tweetchats
• Talk to people
• Retweet good content
• Analyze your competitors
• Meet 5 new people every day
1. Optimize your proﬁle. Include a Call to Action in your
header image. 2,048 pixels x 1900 pixels; 72 pixels/inch.
Include keywords in your Bio that will help with SEO.
2. Tweet interesting things — be insightful, humorous,
3. Tweet more about other people that yourself.
4. Promote your Twitter presence on your website/blog.
Grab a widget from twitter.com/about/resources/widgets.
5. Add your Twitter handle to your marketing collateral -
business cards, email signature, signage.
10 Twitter Tips & Tricks
6. Avoid creating multiple company Twitter accounts.
7. Use a third-party service like HootSuite to listen,
collaborate, manage, monitor and measure.
8. Make sharing easier - add Twitter sharing buttons
to your content.
9. Add your Twitter link to Facebook, LinkedIn,
10.Schedule tweets in advance - SocialOomph.com.
10 Twitter Tips & Tricks
your Twitter proﬁle to
other social networks.
To get a HootSuite Account: http://www.outandaboutmarketing.com/free-stuff/
• Be personable
• Spend 10 min each day; START
• Plan your tweets in advance
• Amplify your impact - Connect with people in
your industry, promote others
• Tweet sharable content - include media, links to
• Sources for ﬁnding interesting content:
Alltop.com, Feedly.com, FlipBoard, Zite, your
Slides available on slideshare.net/milenaregos
All images are credit of CreativeCommons unless