2. Introduction• Afro Peruvian slaves used to work as cookseither for their owners or to sell on streets.• They used the ingredients their masters didnot consume or leftovers.• They also used other ingredients such aspotatoes, grains and fruit such as banana andsugar cane (“chancaca”) in all their desserts.
3. Chancaca• It is made from the sugar cane syrup(molasses), which is boiled for half a day andthen stirred until warm. Then it is poured onwood molds and let cristalize.• There are two types: black and «blond»
5. Picarones• Picarones developed in Colonial times toreplace the Spanish “Buñuelos”.• Spanish “Buñuelos” are made with flour,milk, eggs and butter, and are servedwith honey.• African slaves substituted unavailable orexpensive ingredients with Peruvianones, like squash and sweet potato.• Picarones are kind of donuts made of asquash or pumpkin dough, deep friedand served with cane syrup calledchancaca.
6. Turrón de Doña Pepa• It was created in the XVIIIcentury.• There are many stories aboutthe origin of this dessert. Theyhave in common an Afro-Peruvian woman called«Josefa» and the «Cristo dePachacamilla» (also known as«Señor de los Milagros») towhom the turrón was offered.• Traditionally, it was consumedonly in October, but nowadaysis available all the year.
7. Ranfañote• This dessert was madeby the African slaveswith the leftovers oftheir masters.• It is made with bread,fresh cheese, somedried fruit (almonds,raisins) and chancacasyrup.
8. Arroz zambito• It is a kind of rice puddingsweetened with chancacainstead of sugar, whichgives the dessert a browncolor.• «Zambo» was a personresulting of the mix of an«indio» (native) and a«negro» (African).
9. Sanguito• The Sanguito is made withcornmeal, sugar, chancaca,cinnamon, anise, cloves,vanilla and oil or lard,sprinkled with raisins andlittle sweet balls.• It has a prehispanic origin,but it was modified by theAfrican slaves.• Nowadays, it is a dessertrarely found in the streets.
10. Frejol colado• It is made with a type ofbean called "canario“(traditionally it wasmade with black beans),who is strained afterbeing boiled and then isdressed with sugar,chancaca, clove,cinnamon and milk andserved with a bit ofsesame.• It is consumed mostly inIca (south).
11. Chapana• "Chapana" was madewith a dough of yucawith chancaca,cinnamon and clovewrapped in a bananaleaf.• It is consumed cool.