1. My Team Jayhawks H The i s Game t o r yTheField
2. History of Softball• Softball was created on Thanksgiving Day in 1887 by , George Hancock, a reporter for Chicago Board of Trade. He invented the game as a form of indoor baseball on a cold winter day. Softball has grown immensely over the past 120 years. Today it’s one of the most popular team sports in the United States, with more than 15 million Americans participating every year.
3. Softball• Softball is a bat-and –ball sport played between two teams of 9 to 14 players. It is a direct descendant of baseball although there are some key differences: softballs are larger than baseballs, and the pitches are thrown underhand rather than overhand. Softball is played on a smaller diamond than in baseball; a softball field’s average distances from home plate to the center, left and right field fences are 220 feet for females. Despite the game’s name, the standard softball is not soft; in fact, it is harder than a baseball.
4. The Game• There are 9 players on a softballteam.•The playing field is divided into theinfield and outfield• The lines between the bases are 60’apart and when joined they form a“diamond’ , inside the baseline isknown as the infield•Outside the baseline but inside theplaying field is called the outfield•Any ball going outside the 1st or 3rdbase line is a foul ball ( runners cannot advance and the batter getsanother try unless the ball was caughtin the air, which translates to an out)• An official game is 7 innings ( a inningis when both teams have had theirturn to bat)
5. My Team the Jayhawks • Playing softball is very fun. Especially, when you play on the team I play on ( The Jayhawks). When you play softball you have to always make sure you listen to your coach. If you don’t listen then you won’t be able to win the game. Also, hitting and catching the ball is very important in the game
6. What Coaching Softball means to Me• Coaching softball means putting the best interests of your players/team ahead of your own.• Coaching softball means making each decision based upon what you honestly believe is best for the team, not only for today, but for long term as well.• Coaching softball means understanding that the easy way out now rarely takes you closer to where you ultimately want to be down the road.• Coaching softball means being able to stand up for what you believe in both when no one will know and under the highest scrutiny.• But most of all, coaching softball means selflessly serving others while guiding them toward success and helping them reach their biggest goals and dreams.
7. The diagram of the Softball Field
8. Softball Power• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R- AfuCWMQP0Softball Power Drive - YouTube
10. Pitching• The pitcher must have both feet on the pitcher’s rubber and can only take one step forward while pitching• The ball must be thrown underhand• Both hands must be on the ball at the start of the pitch
11. Batting• Batters must follow the same order throughout the whole game• The batter is out if and when: a. A fly ball is caught b. The batter does not stand in the batter’s box c. Three strikes have been called
12. Base Running• Runners must touch each base in order• Runners may overrun 1st base only, all other bases the runner may be tagged and called out if they are off the base• Runners can not lead off a base, they must be on base until the ball has left the pitcher’s hand• One base runner can not pass another base runner that is ahead of them• Stealing a base is not permitted• A runner is out if:a. They are tagged with the ball before reaching a baseb. The ball gets to 1st base before the runnerc. They run more than 3 feet out of the base line to avoid being tagged
13. Work CitedKendrick,Scott. “Basic Rules of Baseball and Softball.” About.com Guide. About.com. 2012. Web. 25 Feb. 2012.“Softball.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia, n.d. Web. 25 Feb. 2012.“Softball Rules Simplified.” Westlake High School Physical Education, 2001. Web. 25 Feb. 2012.
14. My Softball Virtual MuseumBy Mikki NordmanEdu 201 A-01