1. OpenStreetMap Mikel Maron Wikimania, Alexendria Egypt July 18, 2008
2. About ME brainoff.com Mapufacture Helping Build the GeoWeb mapufacture.com WaterWiki first public UN wiki waterwiki.net OpenStreetMap Foundation Board Member Brighton, UK Developing World “ building digital technology for our planet”
3. = + what is openstreetmap? the openstreetmap “one-liner”
7. mapping data is not free
8. full of mistakes, car-centered
9. mistakes can't be corrected
10. can't re-use, or print
11. economics rules coverage
12. Not Free (as in “Freedom”)
13. Change happens too fast...
16. Times Atlas
20. UK – complete with the next 1-2 years
21. Europe in GPS points
22. Contours in Slovakia
24. OSM Cycle Map
25. OSM on Mobile, GPS Devices
26. Osnabrück – a freed city
27. Yahoo! -- Imagery in OSM
29. cloudmade ito nestoria CadCorp Corporate Uses
30. OSM Foundation State of the Map Conference
31. Companies tapping the crowd
32. Google Map Maker
33. AND maps2.0
34. Donated Data and Free Data
35. AND Netherlands Donation
36. City of Merano
37. Sudan from UN-JLC (need image)
39. And more ... Canada, New Zealand, Falkland Islands...
40. Your Town, Region, Country, Continent?
41. Or just get on with it!
42. upcoming parties
44. RESTful API + simple data format + tagging for metadata + standard map tiles
45. = thriving ecosystem of renderers, editors..
46. API (Rails) Potlatch (Flash) JOSM (Java) Database ... Renderer Mapnik tiles@ home osmarender, pdfatlas, ... planet dump MySQL Viewer Slippy Map (Open Layers) “ Google” tiles “ Google” tiles Editors Rendering, etc.
47. Mapstraction ...one API to cover them all, incl OSM
48. BRIGHTON, case study
49. Mapping Party, September 2006
50. OSM Brighton, December 2006
51. Winter 2007
52. Today Summer 2007
55. My Process
56. Download existing data to GPS
57. Print Out Map for Notes, Bicycle
58. Network Diagram
59. Upload Tracks
60. Draw Over Them
61. OSM + WIKIPEDIA
62. HOW DOES OSM DIFFER FROM WIKIPEDIA
63. * contributors comparison, what year is OSM?
64. In the World Perhaps wider potential contributors
67. debate on tags * happens on list .. but should happen in app
68. * existing sources of data, _potentially_ open * very well funded commercial competitors
69. COOPERATION OF OSM + WIKIPEDIA
70. 1.2 million geotagged wikipedia articles 200K english geotagged articles
73. but that's a lot of new potential contributors
74. WHAT CAN A GROWING OSM LEARN FROM WIKIPEDIA & WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION
75. Our first edit war, Cyprus
78. * User uploading derived data
79. * trademark & domains
80. Who can speak for OSM? to govts, companies, etc
81. * MYANMAR, CONFLICT OF INTEREST?
82. LEVELS OF PARTICIPATION, OpenStreetBugs
83. GERMANY-- editing primaries into secondaries. wiki codifications?
84. ** Codification & Growth, Committees?
85. OSM IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD * developing world, free & elicits contributions, open door
86. The Developing World (ala OSM)
87. Betwala Chawl, Mumbai
88. “ we feel that communities can harness the power of new geo-spatial imaging and mapping technologies to strengthen their demands for secure tenure and housing rights open and vibrant public spaces and ecological conservation and sustainable development in the mega-city.”
89. LOLCows! Moooove!
90. Military and Security
91. OSM IN EGYPT (CAIRO)
92. OSM IN EGYPT (ALEXANDRIA)
93. ARCHAELOGICAL SITES FROM LIBRARY OF ALEXANDRIA
94. Myanmar Sudan Bolivia Baghdad North Korea Phillipines GPSTogo
95. Southern Africa [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OpenMappingAfrica2008]
96. The Possibilities & Applications
97. navigation (Bangalore Startups) urban planning, redevelopment, empowerment (CRIT/PUKAR) political participation agriculture (Trivandrum Agriculture Department) ecology (Biodiversity Survey, Madhav Gadgil) riverbank erosion in West Bengal (WBUT) humanitarian response
98. tracking taxis/safety data collection for rural development, and models for transitioning to open GIS data collection (professor shah's project) monitoring rainfall, collecting and disseminating data to forms, calculating land use unchecked mining operations in the north of West Bengal humanitarian response
99. WE WILL MAP THE WORLD! THANK YOU! [email_address] http://slideshare.net/mikel_maron/