• The LORD spoke his word to Jonah, son of Amittai. He said … (Jon 1:1)• "Ang aklat na ito ay naglalaman ng mensahe ni Yahweh sa pamamagitan ni Jonas na anak ni Amitai. Isang araw, sinabi sa kanya ni Yahweh…"1. all theology must be nothing less than an exposition of the gospel book by mark thompson
We never “get beyond the gospel” in our Christian life to something more “advanced.” The gospel is not the first “step” in a “stairway” of truths, rather, it is more like the “hub” in a “wheel” of truth. The gospel is not just the A-B-C’s of Christianity, but it is the A to Z of Christianity. The gospel is not just the minimumrequired doctrine necessary to enter the kingdom, butthe way we make all progress in the kingdom. We are not justified by the gospel and then sanctified by obedience but the gospel is the way we grow (Gal. 3:1-3) and are renewed (Col 1:6). It is the solution toeach problem, the key to each closed door, the power through every barrier (Rom 1:16-17). - Tim Keller
• But I will sacrifice to you with songs of thanksgiving. I will keep my vow. Victory belongs to the LORD!" (Jon 2:9)• "Ngunitaawitakongpasasalamat, at sainyoymaghahandog; tutuparinkoangakingmgapangako, O Yahweh naakingTagapagligtas!"• salvation is of the LORD – Central Verse of Bible – there is nothing he cannot ask of me revival-when the wonder of the gospel is realised
"Leave at once for the important city, Nineveh.Announce to the people the message I have givenyou." Jonah immediately went to Nineveh as theLORD told him. Nineveh was a very large city. It tookthree days to walk through it. Jonah entered the cityand walked for about a day. Then he said, "In fortydays Nineveh will be destroyed." (Jon 3:2-4)"Pumunta ka saLunsodngNineve at ipahayag moangmgaipinapasabikosaiyo." Nagpuntangasi JonassaNineve. Malakianglunsodnaito;aabutinngtatlongaraw kung ito ay lalakarin.Siyaypumasoksalunsod.Pagkaraanngmaghapongpaglalakad,malakasniyangipinahayag,"GugunawinangNinevepagkaraanngapatnapungaraw!
• the great city Nineveh shouldnt I love this city?• Strategic• bohemian vs bourgeois
Jonah entered the city and walked for about a day. Then hesaid, "In forty days Nineveh will be destroyed." The peopleof Nineveh believed God. They decided to fast, andeveryone, from the most important to the least important,dressed in sackcloth. When the news reached the king ofNineveh, he got up from his throne, took off his robe, put onsackcloth, and sat in ashes. Then he made thisannouncement and sent it throughout the city: "This is anorder from the king and his nobles: No one is to eat or drinkanything. This includes all people, animals, cattle, andsheep. Every person and animal must put on sackcloth.Cry loudly to God for help. Turn from your wicked ways andyour acts of violence. Who knows? God may reconsider hisplans and turn from his burning anger so that we wont die."(Jon 3:4-9)
Nang mabalitaan ito ng hari ng Nineve, bumaba siya sakanyang trono, naghubad ng balabal, nagdamit ngpanluksa at naupo sa abo. At ipinasabi niya sa mga taga-Nineve, "Itoy utos ng hari at ng kanyang mga pinuno.Walang dapat kumain ng anuman. Wala ring iinom, magingtao o hayop. Lahat ng tao at hayop ay magdamit ngpanluksa. Taimtim na manalangin sa Diyos ang bawat isa.Pagsisihan ng lahat ang nagawa nilang kasalanan at iwanang masamang pamumuhay. Baka sa paraang itoymapawi ang galit ng Diyos, magbago siya ng kanyangpasya at hindi na niya ituloy ang balak na pagpatay saatin."
• 3:4, 9 shows a progressiveness to the gospel1. Intelligibility - worldview evangelism acts 17 - people have to clearly perceive what you are giving them.
2. Credibility - apologetics. – Defeaters = belief A if true makes belief B impossible so I dont even have to look at it. – Need to do presuppositional apologetics – These two steps are showing the world the non-negotiables of the gospel.
3. Plausibility - looks at the concepts of the people of the world & tries to connect with them. Contextualisation. Shows that only the gospel answers their needs etc. David Wells re contextualisation.• Eg. We are all being exclusive so the question is whose exclusive views most lead us to love our opponents? To peace? Etc?
• Then the LORD spoke his word to Jonah a second time.… (Jon 3:1)• Mulingsinabini Yahweh kay Jonas,• Sinclair Ferguson when Jonah comes back it says God brings life out of death. It is from Christs weakness that Gods power comes. It is from our weakness that the gospel is formed in us & we have credibility.• Jacob-people who have encountered God limp.• Must be humbled before you can rely on God.• Life out of death, strength out of weakness.
• Jonah is a setup for jer 29 the world rebuking the church• The pagans waken Jonah. – Jonah runs from Nineveh (dirty pagans) – gets on a boat with dirty pagans, – is rebuked by dirty pagans, – can only save the dirty pagans if he sacrifices himself - ill die so you might live.• Does the world know we love them?• Jesus also slept in a storm.
Kerygma KingdomService Deploying Enfolding Building Church Diakonia Ignite Fusion Koinonia Lead Heal Send Consolidate Activate Develop Equipping Disciple Marturia Truth Telling
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.