1. SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE 2012Mike EldredgetekOrangeApril 11, 2012
2. ABOUT YOUR PRESENTER – MIKE ELDREDGE Founder of tekOrange BS in Business Administration from The Ohio State University (MIS) 19 Years Web Industry Experience Services include Web Design/Web Hosting /Web Marketing Chief Infrastructure Architect for former payments company - Internet Transaction Solutions. Liberty Township resident since 1997
3. SOCIAL MEDIAA category of sites that arebased on user participation 1and user-generated content.1. http://searchenginewatch.com/define
4. SOCIAL MEDIA – 2011 Two-thirds of Americans now use Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and other social media sites, up about 230% from the 20% penetration in 2007, and 43% are visiting these sites more than once a day. 11. http://www.socialnetworkingwatch.com/all_social_networking_statistics/
5. SOCIAL MEDIA - 2012 Usage in the US remains strong with about 2/3 of Web users using Social Media in 2012 More than 90% of social network users will be on Facebook in 20121 Big three still – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn New player - Google+1. http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/30495/25-Eye-Popping-Internet-Marketing-Statistics-for-2012.aspx
6. SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+
7. FACEBOOK 2011, 500 million active users 2012, 845 million active users and growing2 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day Average user has 130 “Friends” Each month, people spend over 700 billion minutes on Facebook1 425 million Facebook users on mobile devices31. http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics2. http://newsroom.fb.com/content/default.aspx?NewsAreaId=223. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/27/technology/for-facebook-risk-and-riches-in-user-data.html?_r=1&ref=facebookinc
8. FACEBOOK: A CLOSER LOOKNeed individual accountAccount is tied to an email addressObject of Facebook is to connect with former associates and current friends.Posts by you or your “Friends” will appear on your WallChat
9. FACEBOOK GLOSSARY Friend people you connect and share with on Facebook. Like A way to give positive feedback and connect with things you care about. Networks affiliations with schools or workplaces on Facebook Subscribe A way to hear from people you’re interested in, even if you’re not friends. The Subscribe button is also a way to fine-tune your News Feed to get the types of updates you want to see Page Allow businesses, brands, and celebrities to connect with people on Facebook. Admins can post information and News Feed updates to people who like their pages. Badge A box you can create to share your Facebook profile (timeline), photos or Page on other websites.http://www.facebook.com/help/glossary
10. FACEBOOK - BUSINESS FOCUS Business application - Pages Multiple Administrators Potential Administrator must first like page prior to being added as an administrator Administrators can send email to their friends to notify them of the page Add Images (Usually your company logo) Provide Basic Information Post Updates about your company Set up a Link from your web site Display Page Apps
11. FACEBOOK – PAGE APPS Page Apps provide additional functionality to your Page Available Functionality includes RSS Feeds YouTube Video Twitter Flickr PDF Presentation File Gallery Coupons Feedback FAQs Google Maps And many others
12. FACEBOOK PAGE - CONTINUED Need at least 25 fans of a page to have a personalized Facebook URL. Once a personalized URL exists, Text Messages can be used to add friends by texting the URL name to 32665
13. FACEBOOK – NEW FEATURESTimeline Cover Photo Featured Posts Call out posts on Main Page Page Apps Ability to add apps to Main page About Section Additional Details to help customers connect with your business
14. FACEBOOK FAN PAGE EXAMPLE
15. FACEBOOK Questions?
16. TWITTER Twitter is a communication platform that helps businesses stay connected to their customers. Business Uses Share information with customers or prospects gather real-time market intelligence and feedback build relationships with customers, partners and other people Twitter lets you write and read messages (Tweets) of up to 140 characters, or the very length of this sentence, including all punctuation and spaces. The messages are public and you decide what sort of messages you want to receive (follower) 2011, More than 200 million members worldwide1 2012, Twitter is adding 11 new accounts per second and could pass 500 million21. http://business.twitter.com/basics/what-is-twitter2. http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2012/01/16/twitter-is-adding-11-new-accounts-per-second-and-could-pass-500-million-in-february-say-report/
17. TWITTER: A CLOSER LOOK Hash Tags hashtag symbol # before relevant keywords in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets in Twitter Search. Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message displays all other Tweets in that category. Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet. Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.
18. TWITTER GLOSSARY Mention Referencing another user in your Tweet by including the @ sign followed directly by their username Retweet A Tweet by another user, forwarded to you by someone you follow. Often used to spread news or share valuable findings on Twitter. Message privately Tweet to a particular user whos already following you, start your Tweet with DM or D to direct-message them, eg: "DM @joesmith234 what is your order number?" Hashtag The # symbol is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter usershttps://business.twitter.com/en/basics/glossary/
19. TWITTER – BUSINESS FOCUS Custom Backgrounds New Enhanced Profile Pages Like Facebook Fan Pages, users can view the profile page without joining or logging into Twitter. Header image Featured Tweet
20. TWITTER – NEW FEATURES Enhanced profile pages Companies can now put their brand on display by setting up their own page. Keyboard shortcuts You can compose a new tweet by using “N” and retweet a tweet by just using “T” on your keyboard. Photo Feature Easier way to share photos1. http://www.techsling.com/2012/03/twitters-new-look-and-new-features/
21. TWITTER ENHANCED PROFILE PAGE EXAMPLE
22. TWITTER Questions?
23. LINKEDIN Community dedicated to business professional Special Interest Groups for networking with people of similar interests Company Search Full time Resume listing 2011, 100+ Million Subscribers1 2012, 150+ Million Subscribers21. http://blog.linkedin.com/2011/03/22/linkedin-100-million/2. http://press.linkedin.com/about
24. LINKEDIN: A CLOSER LOOK Company Profiles Post Company Overview List products or services on company profile to attract, showcase and list recommendation from your clients and customers. Associate Employees List Jobs (lower cost than traditional job posting outlets) Groups Groups are communities of professionals who share a common experience, passion, interest, affiliation or goal. Can aid sales through online networking. Can be public or private
25. LINKEDIN GLOSSARY Introduction Messages that allow members to contact to be contacted through a shared or mutual connection. Connection A contact you know personally and who you trust on a professional level. Once youve "connected" to them on LinkedIn, you can communicate with them directly and see their profile. Network A group of users that can contact you through connections up to three degrees away Group A place for professionals in the same industry or with similar interests to share content, find answers, post and view jobs, make business contacts, and establish themselves as industry experts. Skill Expertise in a certain field or area associated with your LinkedIn profile. InMail Private message that allow you to directly contact any LinkedIn member while protecting the recipients privacy (Premium and Fee based).
26. LINKEDIN – BUSINESS FOCUS Company Pages Company Information Overview of Company Pictures Products/Services Listing Careers Page displays when search of network is performed
27. LINKED IN – NEW FEATURES LinkedIn Today – Daily digest with the most relevant headlines, the articles that your LinkedIn connections and industry peers are sharing and reading. Company Search – Now displays whether related company is related to a direct connection or part of your extended network Company Status Updates – Now companies can post status updates link individuals Group Polls – Polls can now be submitted to specific groups. New Event System – Events are easier to find. Skills – Search your network for resources with specific skillsets1. http://windmillnetworking.com/2012/01/06/new-linkedin-features-2011-2012/
28. LINKEDIN COMPANY PAGE
29. LINKEDIN Questions?
30. GOOGLE+ Launched in June 2011 90 Million Users with 60% active on a daily basis1 Share your thoughts, links and photos with friends and associates Easy video chat for talking with up to nine people at once. Simple group chat. Search brings updates from circles, around the web and public Google+ posts.1. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/google-claims-90-million-google-users-60-active-daily.ars
31. GOOGLE+ GLOSSARY Circles Circle is a concept similar to group but in a more restricted manner. You can create a circles based on your interest, activities, culture and whatever way you like. Sparks Sparks is designed to provide you the information based on your interests Hangout Impromptu meetings between friends and associates. People can join the conversation at any time in whichever manner they’re comfortable with i.e. video, voice and text chat . +1 the +1 button to give something your public stamp of approval. Then, if you want to share right away, add a comment and send it to the right circles on Google+.http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/google_plus_guide_all_you_need_to_know_about_google_terminology
32. GOOGLE+ - BUSINESS FOCUS Google+ Page Business profile +1 recommendations appear on your website, display ads, search ads, Google search results and now, your Google+ Page. Group customers in circles Use Hangouts to communicate directly Link to other related sites (up to 20) Up to 5 photos on the main page Promote to circles
33. GOOGLE+ PAGE
34. GOOGLE+ Questions?
35. UPDATE TOOLS Manage Multiple Social Media Feeds with a Single tool Tweetdeck http://www.tweetdeck.com Manage Feeds via Columns Schedule Tweets Support for Twitter, Facebook Hootsuite http://hootsuite.com Insight into Followers Support for LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, & More
36. REVIEW State of Social Media in 2012 Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Update Tools
37. WHAT IS TEKORANGE Powell Based Internet Business Internet Experts We do web sites New & Redesign Vertical Markets Home Owner Associations Ecommerce Manufacturing We are hosting experts Domain Registration, Basic Web Site Hosting Virtual Server hosting, Hosted Exchange Co-Location Host over 2000 Web Sites, 85 Virtual Servers, 100 Physical Servers out of Hilliard Based data center