Network & Business Reconnaissance – Before hacking your Online business or corporate infrastructure, hackers first perform routine and detailed reconnaissance. Hackers must gather as much information about your business and networks as possible. Anything they discover about their target (you) can be valuable during their attack phases. Strategies for hacking rely on a foundation of knowledge and understanding, arising initially from whatever the hacker can learn about you and your business. Methods of reconnaissance include Dumpster Diving, Social Engineering, Google Searching & Google Hacking, and work their way up to more insidious methods such as infiltrating your employees environments from coffee shops to simply walking in and setting up in a cubicle and asking a lot of questions. Whatever methods are used to perform reconnaissance, hackers will usually collect a large amount of information varying from trivial to sensitive, all of which may be useful during their attacks.
Computer hacking is when someone modifiescomputer hardware or software in a way thatalters the creators original intent.
• Hackers are Intelligent Computer Professionals.• Motive/Intent –• To gain in-depth knowledge of a system, what’s happening at the backend, behind the screen.• To find possible security vulnerabilities in a system.• They create security awareness by sharing knowledge. It’s a team work.
White Hat• A white hat is the hero or good guy, especially in computing slang, where it refers to an ethical hacker or Penetration tester who focuses on securing and protecting IT systems.• White Hat Hackers, also known as Ethical Hackers
Black Hat• A black hat is the villain or bad guy. It refers to a hacker that breaks into networks or computers, or creates computer viruses. Black Hat Hackers (also called "crackers") who are specialized in unauthorized penetration of information systems.• They may use computers to attack systems for profit, for fun, or for political motivations or as a part of a social cause.
Grey Hat• A grey hat, in the hacking community, refers to a skilled hacker who sometimes acts legally, sometimes in good will, and sometimes not.• They are a hybrid between white and black hat hackers.• They usually do not hack for personal gain or have malicious intentions, but may or may not occasionally commit crimes during the course of
Ian Murphy Kevin Mitnick Johan HelsinguisLinus Torvalds Mark Abene Robert Morris
• An Individuals who break into computers with malicious intent.• Motive/Intent –• To seek unauthorized access into a system and cause damage or destroy or reveal confidential information.• To compromise the system to deny services to legitimate users for troubling, harassing them or for taking revenge.• Effects- Can cause financial losses &
• Phreaks – These are persons who use computer devices and software to break into phone networks.• Motive/Intention- To find loopholes in security in phone network and to make phone calls at free of cost!!!• Effects- You may have to big amount of phone bills, for doing nothing!!!
• Script Kiddies – These are persons not having technical skills to hack computers.• Motive/Intention- They use the available information about known• vulnerabilities to break into remote systems.• It’s an act performed for a fun or out of curiosity.
Scanning is the process of finding outopen/close ports,vulnerabilities in remote system, server &networks.• Scanning will reveal• IP addresses• Operating systems• Services running on each computer.• Services running on each computer.
• Port Scanning• Network Scanning• Vulnerability Scanning
• Port Scanning is one of the most popular techniqueattacker use todiscover the service they break into.• All machines connected to a LAN or connected toInternet via amodem run many services that listen at well-known andnot so wellknownports.• There are 1 to 65535 ports are available in thecomputer.• By port scanning the attacker finds which ports are
Understand IP Addresses and related information about the computer network systems