Mieko A. Ozeki
(802) 735-2259 • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.miekoozeki.com • www.linkedin.com/in/miekoaozeki
Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge, MA
Master of Liberal Arts in Sustainability and Environmental Management.
Received Lowell Teachers Scholarship, 2006-2008.
Audubon Expedition Institute At Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
Master of Science in Ecological Leadership and Education.
Received Diversity in Environmental Education Scholarship, 2002-2004.
State University of New York at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and minors in Studio Art and Honors Program.
Dean’s List and graduated cum laude. Received Presidential Merit Scholarship and enrolled in Honors
Program from 1998-2001.
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Sustainability Projects Coordinator
• Organize and implement operational services in support of major projects and programs for the Office of Sustainability.
Researched and selected a cost-effective project management system solution, Basecamp®, for department. Train staff
and external users on how to use system.
• Oversee financial and administrative functions of the department budget.
• Develop and edit publications on campus greening projects and practices.
• Administer Clean Energy Fund, a $10 per student per semester fee dedicated to renewable energy projects on-campus.
Responsibilities include: organizing monthly committee meeting, processing project proposals, supervise Education &
Outreach Graduate Assistant, and manage an annual projects budget of $225,000.
• Coordinate and supervise 2-8 interns during academic year and summer for Office of Sustainability and on Clean
Energy Fund projects.
• Present and represent UVM at 2-4 professional conferences per academic year.
• Organized the 6th Annual Northeast Campus Sustainability Consortium Conference in 2009, cohosted by UVM and
Middlebury College. Exceeded registration goal and had150 attendees.
• Coordinated transition of the Office of Sustainability, Environmental Safety & Facilities, and Green Building
department websites from static to dynamic content management systems; working with consultants, Tamarack Media,
to develop customized modules to efficiently deliver content online.
• Collaborated on and published AASHE’s How-to Guide: Campus Green Fund Implementation. Launched Campus
Sustainability Green Funds Database on AASHE website.
Boston Day and Evening Academy, Roxbury, MA 2005-2008
• Set-up and maintained schedules, transcripts, report cards, absence reports, and data analysis for the Massachusetts
Department of Education and Boston Public School systems. Trained teachers and staff on the applications of Power School,
a web-based school database program.
• Managed a $300,000 budget from the Barr Foundation’s PSEED grant. Provided logistical support and planned
professional development services for staff in experiential and environmental education. Developed partnerships with
local nonprofit groups and city agencies. Consulted on school’s urban garden and employment program.
• Initiated a school wide recycling program. Partnered with Think Green to recycle used ink cartridges and worked with
Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and City of Boston to receive equipment and coordinate regular
OZEKI (continued) page 2
The Food Project, Boston and Lincoln, MA
Public Education Associate
• Coordinated Serve & Grow, a service-learning program. Supervised all activities required to support productivity of
farm and educational services including: promotion of volunteer opportunities, recruitment of 1,800 volunteers, and
conducting trainings for staff and interns
• Coordinated School Partnerships, an interdisciplinary science program for elementary school students in Boston. Led
activities to promote science education including: curriculum development, staff training, and teaching students with
diverse learning styles.
CERTIFICATES & AWARDS
• Recipient of Molly McKeown Award for Alumni Community Service 2012
• Certificate of Completion- Supervising Today’s Student Employees from UVM’s HRS Learning
Services and Student Financial Services.
• Professional Certificate in Collaborative Management: Leading Through Partnership from UVM’s
Center for Leadership and Innovation.
• Certificate of CITI Basis Course in the Protection of Human Research Subjects from University of
Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine.
Gershon Lerhman Group
Radiance Studios LLC, Burlington, VT
Owner, a boutique career and organizational development coaching service.
American Journal Experts, Durham, NC
Independently-contracted Editor and Proofreader
Good Green Home, Washington, DC
City of Cambridge
Department of Public Works Intern
• Field research on the renewable energy potential on 54 municipal building roof structures.
• Field research on the City’s business composting program.
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Research assistant for Dr. Cheryl Vaughan in cell biology education
Urban Ecology Institute, Chestnut Hill, MA
Environmental Education Practicum and Curriculum Development Fellow
Somerville Center for Adult Learning Experience, Somerville, MA
GED Youth Teacher-Social Studies and Science
Wilderness Ventures, Jackson, WY and San Juan Islands, WA
Sea Kayak Guide
Eagle Rock School & Professional Development Center, Estes Park, CO
Fine Arts Teaching Fellow, Residential Counselor, and Student Advisor
McClure Productions, Inc., Geneseo, NY
Curriculum Development Intern
Access Opportunity Program at SUNY Geneseo, Geneseo, NY
Academic Peer Tutor
OZEKI (continued) page 3
• Member, Association for the Advancement in Higher Education (AASHE) Education &
Professional Development Committee
2013 - Present
• Member, National Career Development Association 2012 - Present
• Member, American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment Implementation
2012 - Present
• Senior Fellow, Environmental Leadership Program
o Interviewed and helped select fellows for 2012, 2013, 2014 classes.
2011 - Present
• Member, Association for the Advancement in Higher Education (AASHE) Conference Steering
2012 - 2014
• Former Member, North American Association for Environmental Education 2013 - 2014
• Former Member, Association for Experiential Education 2000 - 2012
• Fellowship Project Mentor, Short Term Resource Mentor for Wild Gift 2012 - Present
• Sustainability Mentor,for CleanTech Open 2012 - 2013
• Ozeki, M., Beverage, M., Blaney, K., Ordean, K., Walsh, K., Wyatt, L. 2013. How-to Guide: Campus Green Fund
Implementation. Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
• Ozeki, M. 2012. A Deeper Look: The Role of Green Funds on Campuses. White paper. AASHE Bulletin Review.
• Ozeki, M. 2010. Student Green Fund Implementation in U.S. Colleges and Universities from 1973-2010: An
Exploratory Review of the National Context, Design, Management, and Application of Student Fees to On-Campus
Sustainability Projects. Report. AASHE Resources.
• Ozeki, M. 2009. Tracking Greenhouse Gas Emissions on College Campuses in the U.S.: The Methods and Application
of Greenhouse Gas Inventory in Climate Action Planning. Report. AASHE Resources.
• Ozeki, M. 2014. Present Yourself: Building Your Portfolio & Professional Brand in A Digital Age. Presentation for
ENVS 151: Intermediate Environmental Studies, University of Vermont, Burlington, MA. 18
• Ozeki, M. 2014. Applying the Tools of Systems Thinking to Implement & Manage Change on Campus. Workshop.
Smart & Sustainable Conference, Baltimore, MD. 4 March 2014.
• Ozeki, M. 2013. The Story of You: Cultivating and Curating Your Personal Brand. Two workshops for the
Environmental Leadership Program, Pendle Hill, PA and Raymond, NH. October and November 2013.
• Ozeki, M. and Roth, D. 2013. Conservations on Equity and Resilience. AASHE Conference, Nashville, TN. 8 October
• Ozeki, M., Beverage, M., Blaney, K., Ordean, K., Walsh, K., Wyatt, L. 2013. Green Fund Implementation Guide.
Presentation. AASHE Conference, Nashville, TN. 7 October 2013.
OZEKI (continued) page 4
• Ozeki, M. and Scott, D. 2013. Strengthening Relationships by Removing Blame: Constructive Relationships with
Difficult Stakeholders. New England Campus Sustainability Forum. Boston, MA. 20 September 2013.
• Ozeki, M. 2013. UVM’s Comprehensive Campus Renewable Energy Feasibility Study. Workshop Presentation. Smart
& Sustainable Campus Conference, Bethesda, MD. 15 April 2013.
• Ozeki, M. 2013. Personal Branding in a Digital Age. Webinar. Environmental Leadership Program. 27 March 2013
• Ozeki, M., Capps, T., Cromwell-Kalkbrenner, L., Getterman, S. 2012. Sustainability Officers 1.0 to 2.0 Toolkit:
Strategic and Sane Workload Management of People, Projects, and Programs on Your Campus. Panel Presentation.
AASHE Conference, Los Angeles, CA. 15 October 2012.
• Walsh, K., Ozeki, M., Beverage, M., Ordean, K., Hartke, M., Wyatt, L. 2012. Green Funds 2.0: The Nitty-Gritty of
Campus Sustainability Fund Management from the Ground Up. Panel Presentation. AASHE Conference, Los Angeles,
CA. 15 October 2012.
• Ozeki, M., Smith, M., Thompson, G. 2012. Mapping Renewable Energy Potential on Campus: A Case Study of a
Strategic Green Fund Project. Poster Presentation. AASHE Conference, Los Angeles, CA. 15 October 2012.
• Ozeki, M. 2012. Plugging into the Smart Grid: How Colleges and Universities Can Get Involved. Presentation.
Northeast Campus Sustainability Consortium, 8th
Annual Conference, Syracuse, NY. 2 April 2012.
• Ozeki, M. 2012. Designing, Implementing, and Project Managing Campus Green Funds. Presentation. Ball State
University, Greening of the Campus IX Conference, Muncie, IN. 21 March 2012.
• Ozeki, M. 2012. Think-Design-Create: Understanding the Skills You Bring to Your Team for Successful Project
Implementation. Workshop. University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. 18 March 2012
• Ozeki. M. 2012. Project Management Strategies for the Environmental Leader. Webinar. Environmental Leadership
Program. 11 January 2012.
• Ozeki, M. 2011. The Sustainability Officers Communications and Project Management Toolkit- Organizational Tips
for Long-Term Sanity. Presentation. AASHE Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. 11 October 2011.
• Ozeki, M. 2011. Designing and Implementing a Robust and Sustainable Student Green Fund: Recommendations from
Sustainability Officers. Presentation. AASHE Conference, Pittsburgh, PA. 12 October 2011.
• Ozeki, M. 2011. Student Green Fund Implementation in U.S. Colleges and Universities from 1973-2010: An
Exploratory Review of the National Context, Design, Management, and Application of Student Fees to On-Campus
Sustainability Projects. Poster. Smart & Sustainable Conference, College Park, MD. April 2011.
• Ozeki, M. 2011. Creating a Professional Portfolio: A Tool for Career Exploration and Marketing Your Skills +
Experience. Workshop. University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. February 2011.
• Ozeki, M., Barot, S., Garrard, A., Leung, N., Shea, C., 2010. Student Green Fee Management & Project
Implementation. Panel Presentation. AASHE Conference, Denver, CO. 12 October 2010
• Ozeki, M. 2003. Green Jobs: Making an Ecological and Social Difference in the World. Lecture. State University of
New York at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY. October 2003.
• Ozeki, M. 2003. An Introduction to Deep Ecology: An Ecological Perspective and Its Influence on Today’s
Environmental Movement. Lecture. State University of New York at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY. October 2003.
• Hanzel, E. and M. Ozeki. 2002. Activism and the Great Turning. Seminar. Audubon Expedition Institute, Arcata, CA.