Transport Planning- Nigel Millington, City Builder Academy Part 2
Elms Park – The Vision
• A new Garden Neighbourhood.
• Attractive housing, three new schools, health
facilities, community spaces, Business Park, P&R
and a new Park.
• A new western gateway for Cheltenham.
• New routes to Cheltenham, Tewkesbury
and Bishops Cleeve.
• Addition of cycle lanes on Tewkesbury
• Dedicated Toucan crossings.
• Support for NCN through the site.
• Contributions to Sustrans/GCC routes.
• Support for Cycle Hub at Rail Station.
• Support for Town Centre measures.
• 12 min frequency.
• 0600-2300 Mon – Sat.
• 30 min frequency at other
• Real Time Information.
• Bus priority measures.
• Ticketing incentives.
• Contactless payments
• P&R – 8 departures per hour.
• Framework Travel Plan for each major land
• Site specific website.
• Cycle storage at trip origins and
• Initial period of free bus use.
• Ongoing ticketing incentives.
• Fully funded car club.
• PTP for residents and employees.
• Extensive improvements on
• Replacement of Wymans
Lane mini-roundabout with
• Replacement of Staverton
Bridge signals with a new
• Four scenarios:
– DM: Do Minimum
– DS1: DM + Elms Park (with mode shift)
– DS2: DM + Elms Park (no mode shift - sensitivity)
– DS3: DS1 + wider mode shift
Tewkesbury Road Eastbound Journey Times 2026 AM - All Vehicles
Tewkesbury Road Eastbound Journey Times 2026 PM - All Vehicles
How do you get into Transport
• Mostly degree route, but some direct entry
• Wide range of useful first degrees e.g. geography, economics, civil
engineering, environmental studies etc
• Many have directly relevant MSc or equivalent
• Numerous courses are available – see www.tps.org.uk
• Full-time, part-time and distance learning options available
• Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
• Work towards Transport Planning Professional (TPP)
• Transport Planning Society is a useful resource